Is it toast?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I took this Kohler to someone who said he could get this pulley off. He said it would be a while, maybe more than a day, before he could get to it, so I left it with him. When I got it back, this is what I got. Instead of heating up the pulley and pulling it off, he cut the pulley off and cut into the crank. UHG!!!!!!!

20190705_101555.jpg20190705_101609.jpg20190705_101624.jpg

MowLife

Threads
If you were charged by a shop for this kind of work I would be demanding a new crankshaft. You should be able to make it work as long as the pulley and key way slide back on.

Russ2251

Threads
Looks like was torched off.
Temper will be ruined as well as destroying crank seal.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you were charged by a shop for this kind of work I would be demanding a new crankshaft. You should be able to make it work as long as the pulley and key way slide back on.

I wasn't charged because it was a friend of my nephew. It was sort of a favor.

I'm gonna have to grind/sand it smooth on some high spots. The problem I see, is the side of the keyway that's cut into. Which is the side that will have the most pressure on it, when the engine is rotating. Unless I'm looking at it wrong. Looking at the crank, from the bottom up, the right side of the keyway slot will need to be a solid wall for the key to be tight in it's groove, right?

All of the keyway isn't bad. So the key may actually have a solid wall.

So I guess there's no need to worry about the weight balance from the missing steel on one side?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like was torched off.
Temper will be ruined as well as destroying crank seal.

I've already rebuilt the carb, bought all new filters for this and was about to order a new seal for the crank. Gonna see what kind of information you experts can give me before I spend anymore on this.

Russ2251

Threads
Possible temper issue should be addressed.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Possible temper issue should be addressed.

Regardless of whether than engine was my own or someone else's, I would not put a pulley on that crankshaft.

Whoever did that is an idiot and shouldn't be allowed anywhere close to anything needing repair. He will leave a trail of destruction that others have to clean up his whole life.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cast cranks are pretty soft anyway, if the seal is still good, and on a riding mower I'd smooth it out and run it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will have to agree with some of the others.
That crank is now a time bomb waiting to go off, it is toast, quite litterally.
Cranks are not particularly expensive so if you want to keep the engine, replace the crank .
No matter what happens you will end up replacing it.
Better to do it now than had the broken crank take other parts with it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is how my luck goes.
I ask a question that I think is pretty much a yes or no question, and get answers that could go 4 ways. HA HA HA HA HA HA

If I put another pulley on it, it'll screw up something else.
If I don't, then I should have, because it would've been fine.
If I put a new crank in it, 2 weeks after I sell it, a rod will break.

Decisions decisions decisions.

HA HA HA HA... None the less, I hope everyone had a great 4th of July.