WE261 Friction disk

kh0432

Threads
WE261 goes well in forward but really slow or not at all in reverse. When in neutral the friction wheel is positioned in the center of the friction disk and there is a gap between them. When placed in 1st, the wheel moves to the left and makes contact with the disk. When placed in reverse the wheel moves to the right of center but there is a gap between the wheel and disk and it doesn't make contact. I don't see any up and down movement in the shaft to make me think the bearings are bad but why would it be farther from the disk un one side and not the other?

kh0432

Threads
After a little more research I find that the friction wheel part#428106 is no longer available and is replaced by a complete transaxle. There's no way I'm putting $400 into this mower. Someone stated they had a part# for a different wheel which could be modified to fit. I was also wondering if it would be possible to shim the drive disk where it bolts to the crankshaft enough to make better contact

MowLife

Threads
This model mower has a bad reputation and discontinued for that reason. I myself wouldn’t put any money into it. However if you want to keep yours I would keep an eye out on Craigslist for a donor machine for parts. I see them all the time from $25 - $75.

kh0432

Threads
The more I read about this mower the more I'm convinced to part it out. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it to someone and not have it last. I paid $75 for it thinking it would be an easy flip. The B&S motor runs good so maybe I could get a few bucks for it and the deck.

kh0432

Threads
Now that I'm thinking about it, I noticed that when I move the lever in the back from fee wheeling to engage the lever doesn't go to the top of the slot. I'm going to check and see if the carrier spring is missing or broken. Does that pull the friction wheel up against the friction disk?