John Deere D110 riding mower running woes

clintonracer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have an issue with a D110 riding mower. It's about 2-3 years old, has 67 hours on it, and it won't stay running. Here's the timeline on what has happened so far:

1. I left ethanol gas it in over the winter (big mistake I recently found out.) Now the mower will run rough for about 10-15 seconds and then stall out and I can't restart it. Once the mower cools off a few hours, it will start-up and run and then stall out again after 10-20 seconds and then you can't restart it. It doesn't matter where I set the mixture screw, it makes no difference.

2. Siphoned all of the gas out of the tank and replaced with new gas.

3. I took the carb off to attempt to clean it or see if it had debris/seal failure, etc. and it looked OK. Put it back on and it runs the same.

4. I tried an Amazon $40 carb and it does the same thing. What did happen when I tried this though is it had a BIG backfire when it stalled out and a large amount of oil shot out of the engine (maybe from the oil filler tube?) and all over the ground (I bet it lost 1/2 quart or so of oil when I checked it afterwards.) It hasn't lost any oil since.

5. My local mower shop sold me a known used good carb and it does the same thing (I bought the used carb to try since it was going to be 2 weeks before they could get the mower in for service.)

6. Bought a new fuel filter (it has 3/4 gas in it when I check) and made no difference.

6. Pulled-off the gas line to the carb and cranked the engine and a decent amount of gas comes out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
DIp the oil
Is it overfull ?
is it thin feeling & smells of petrol ?

Its Me

Threads
We talking the old John Deere with the cast Iron engine, if so drain the oil put some fresh one if that needle stuck open or the bad gas deformed it you probably have gas in the oil, change the plug, make sure you have spark, if it won't start when its warmed up look for condenser or coil problem I had one recent that come in and it had a leaking head gasket, keep us posted of progress or even failure, don't give up and don't give in, Joe

gotomow

Threads
Did you try spraying starter fluid into carb when it starts to die? Did you change the plug? What does the plug tip look like?