Cub Cadet 1046 suddenly shut down during use

zap44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. My Cub cadet 1046 has been spot on and trouble free until a couple of days ago, and it has me stumped on whats wrong with it. Was cutting the grass as usual. During cutting I had to cut it off a couple times and both times it kept trying to spit and sputter even with the key off. The only way I could get it to stop doing it was to put it in full choke and turn off the key. It did however start right back up and run fine both times. After continuing to cut the grass, about 20-30 minutes later it just suddenly shut off on me without warning, and it wouldn't start back up. I decided to run inside and grab a cold drink and give it a few minutes to set and cool off. When I returned, fuel was running out of the exhaust, and when I pulled the air filter off, fuel was up to the bottom of the air filter box. (gas tank was 3/4 full at the time so the level in it was higher than the engine still) I figured the fuel pump had failed so I installed a new one the next day, but that didn't fix it. It's still leaking the fuel out. I've taken the shroud off to get a better look at the carb, hoses, electrical connections, and all appear fine. I'm attaching 2 pics. One is of the fuel level in the air cleaner box, and the other is of the carb. I circled what appears to be some kind of solenoid or something on the bottom of the carb bowl? I went to cub cadets site and looked at a blowapart list, but can't find what this part is, and if it may be whats causing the issue I'm having?

Attachments

• 65791297_355490051809063_1520592764096479232_n.jpg
    65791297_355490051809063_1520592764096479232_n.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 9
  • sadfghjk.JPG
    sadfghjk.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 7

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That solenoid looking thing on the bottom of the carb is the anti-bang switch(afterfire solenoid). Has nothing to do with your issue. your issue is the float valve is stuck open and not shutting off the flow of fuel into the carb, which is overflowing and filling the carb, intake manifold, most like is now in the oil, which will have to be changed along with the oil filter.

Time to remove the carb, disassembly ,clean paying special attention to the seat area of the float valve, and install a carb repair kit and reassemble.

zap44

Forum Newbie
Threads
That solenoid looking thing on the bottom of the carb is the anti-bang switch(afterfire solenoid). Has nothing to do with your issue. your issue is the float valve is stuck open and not shutting off the flow of fuel into the carb, which is overflowing and filling the carb, intake manifold, most like is now in the oil, which will have to be changed along with the oil filter.

Time to remove the carb, disassembly ,clean paying special attention to the seat area of the float valve, and install a carb repair kit and reassemble.

Thanks for the fast response. I'll pull the carb off in the next couple of days hopefully, and see whats up with the float valve. In the mean time, i'll grab some oil and filter and change that once the issue is fixed just to be safe. It's about due anyways. I'll report back with what I find.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Change the oil then do a 10 minute mow then change the oil & filter.
You need to get all of the fuel out of the

zap44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Change the oil then do a 10 minute mow then change the oil & filter.
You need to get all of the fuel out of the

Not a bad idea just for extra precaution.

zap44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had a little free time this afternoon so I went ahead and pulled the carb off. Well, first I sprayed the exterior of it, and all the working areas with carb cleaner. Hadn't been cleaned in 8 years, and it showed. Removed the float, and the pin that it pivots on had some buildup on it that MIGHT have been causing it to hang up and not function properly. The needle and seat looked clean and pristine, but I went ahead and sprayed everything good with carb cleaner just to be sure, and re-installed it with fingers crossed. After a bit of cranking to re-prime the system, she fired right up and purred for about 10 seconds and I shut it down. Going to check back on it tomorrow morning to be sure its good before changing the oil and filter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the fuel line off the carb at the filter or pump and try to blow through it.
If you have an air pressure pump the float should be able to hold back 10 psi if it is working properly.

zap44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pull the fuel line off the carb at the filter or pump and try to blow through it.
If you have an air pressure pump the float should be able to hold back 10 psi if it is working properly.

All looks to be good. No leaking over night. Heading into town now for new fuel line, oil, and filters. I'll do the blow test when I put the new line on. Hopefully its good, and I can finish mowing the yard.

zap44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wanted to stop back by and thank everyone for the help. I still can't say if it was something extremely small that I couldn't see keeping the needle from sealing properly, or if it was the buildup on the float pin causing it. Either way, it's working great again. Already changed the oil twice, and finally ready to cut the grass if it will ever stop raining every afternoon.