Craftsman LTS 2000 Lawn tractor, Model 917.289070 Drive Belt Slipping

platefire

Threads
  • / Craftsman LTS 2000 Lawn tractor, Model 917.289070 Drive Belt Slipping
I can still operate the tractor but it kind of aggravating when I try to take off in high gear and it just sits there and slips and I have to go to a lower gear
to get it to start moving. Seems like after I operate it a few minuets the belt slips less. I been living with this a while and thinking maybe I should get to the bottom of it.

About a year ago I replaced the drive belt and also(if I remember correctly) the #52 Idler V-Grove pulley. As I recall the original pulley was plastic and basically disintegrated on me. The other Flat Idler pulley looked good.

The thing is after I installed the new belt and new pulley, it was slipping from the git-go and I just been living with it. It does grab enough to operate the tractor but still with a lot of slippage when it gets in a bind.

I'm not aware of anywhere you can adjust to belt tension. It appears to me that you just put your belt on and tension of the idler pulleys is what adjust the belt tension. So my ears are open on what the solution might be?????? Platefire

MowLife

Threads
Did you put all the belt guides back on correctly? This plays a major role in grip to the pulley.

platefire

Threads
Well, it's been over a year. So I don't rightly remember. I'm probably going to have to re-look it over again to tell. That means I'll probably have to pull the deck off to get clean access and clear view. Platefire

platefire

Threads
I've been looking at my manual at any guides that I could have missed. Part # 194318 Keeper Bellcrank Ground Drive for the V-Groove Pulley has two vertical
guides. Best I can tell by looking at the exploded view and drive belt layout view, the belt should rest inside of both these vertical guides. There is no detailed drawing to show that, just my best guess by looking in the manual. Any insight into that before I go look what's underneath my mower??

Looking at a enlarged view of the other Bellcrank Ground Drive bracket part 194317 for the Flat Idler pulley, I see no vertical guides on that one.

Thanks, Bob

platefire

Threads
Well here I am soaked with sweat sitting in front of my PC monitor. It's 96 outside, this air sure feels good. About 2 hours ago I decided to have a look under the Craftsman. Didn't pull the deck, just dropped it down low as it would go. Drove the front end up on my up-side down aluminum fishing boat for a little elevation. Like that I had a pretty good view of the Idler pulleys. Using a flash light it didn't take too long that part #194327 Flat Idler pulley had a problem. First it was froze up, not turning at all and the flat section that the belt was suppose to be touching was completely gone. How the tractor was moving at all, I don't know. I pulled the old pulley off for a reference to compare to the new replacement part I would be getting.

So I called the local Patrick Miller tractor repair/Sales/supply and turns they had one left $15.13 plus tax. So I beat it down there and picked it up for $16.50. I really had a hard time getting the new one on, must of spent about 45 minuets. I finally got the right combination and got the nut started and lugged her down. It's working a lot better now. I think the thing running on that froze up idler pulley probably took its tole on the drive belt but it's working pretty good considering everything. Too bad it took me starting this post to motivate me to take action on this issue but what ever works. Thanks, Bob

NorthBama

Threads
glad you got it going and shared the results on the forum it may help someone in the future

platefire

Threads
Thanks! I bought a new Husqvarna this year because I thought the Craftsman was on its last leg. The deck looks like the Swiss Cheese it has so many holes but is still holding together. Every mower I buy is like a challenge to me to stretch it out as far as I can get it to go. I'm embarrassed that I let the drive slipping go so long without tending to it---not good maintenance practice:ashamed: