Botched cleanup job after pouring oil into gas compartment: what to do next?

lavaboom

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Botched cleanup job after pouring oil into gas compartment: what to do next?
I have a Yardworks 163CC 3-in-1 High Wheel Gas Push Lawn Mower. I accidentally poured engine oil into the gas tank, then tried to crank start it (it didn't work, that's when I realized the mistake).

I then turned the mower on its side to empty the oil into a container. Then I washed the inside of the gas tank with hot water and let it dry.

Next day I put the emptied out oil in its proper place and put 87 gas into the gas tank (another mistake of mine, the manual recommends 89 gas, which I totally forgot). Tried to start the mower. Didn't work.

At this point I think the engine is dead and there's no point calling a mechanic anymore. Should I try my luck and book repair service? I'm just afraid they will end up charging me for service call while not being able to do anything about it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Botched cleanup job after pouring oil into gas compartment: what to do next?
Remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. Reassemble and install. Remove the spark plug and pull the engine over about twenty times, with an old rag in front of the hole. Install new plug. If the engine does not start after five pulls, give it a shot of carb cleaner into the carb throat and try again. Engine is NOT ruined, just needs a little TLC, as this mistake is not terminal.

MowLife

Threads
You really didn’t hurt your mower. You have to clean the entire fuel system. Gas tank fuel line, filter and carburetor. You can probably get away with just removing carb bowl and washing out oil if it made it that far. Your mower should run fine on 87 octane.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree, this is not a terminal situation..

lavaboom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks a lot guys, I'm much more relieved now. I'll try what you suggested and see how it goes.

Lawn Addict
Threads
PS: Welcome..