New Blades- Scag OEM- Not Sharpened.. ?

Mowergal

Threads
I just bought a set of Scag OEM blades for my new Turf Tiger 61" deck. They have a dull edge, definitely not razor-sharp or sharpened at all. I also noticed that the blades on my new Turf Tiger are not sharp either. Should the dealer have sharpened the blades on the new mower and the additional blade set I bought? I asked the dealership and was told that I didn't want blades to be sharp... Huh? In the past, with my older Turf Tiger, I periodically had the blades sharpened and they were returned to me 'dangerously' razor-sharp... Thanks for your thoughts on this!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many will recommend attempting to cut grass with dull blades and if they get them too sharp they grind a dull land on the edge so I doubt any dealer will touch them and as always state " THAT'S NORMAL". I have a different opinion. I don't cut grass with dull blades and my barber better not use dull clippers. If the sharp edge wears to kind of dull in the first hour, so be it, but it did a good job for an hour, then they come off and get sharpened.

4getgto

Threads
Some will say they dull quicker when they're "razor" sharp. And that may be true because the edge is thinner. I seen new blades too that looked as though they should be sharpened first. Personally I wouldn't worry to much about them and just sharpen the way "you" want them sharpen when they need it next time.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oregon, the largest blade manufacturer in the world has a blade sharpening rule that is 30-30 Their blades come from the factory with a .030 blunt edge, which prevents that quick wear that occurs on the initial use, and the blades are ground at a 30 degree angle.

The blades are sharpened at the factory prior to painting so the edge looks duller than it really is.

Mowergal

Threads
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the feedback!