SX75 Rider - Won't start after running for a while.

The Famous Grouse

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / SX75 Rider - Won't start after running for a while.
Hi Everybody, first post but been reading threads here for a while.

I have a Kawasaki-powered Deere SX75 rear engine rider. It starts great the first time, but after I run it for 20-30 minutes or more, it will NOT restart for love or money. I can mow with the machine for an hour and there are no symptoms of issues until I shut it off and then no way will it restart. No amount of cranking will produce even a cough or sputter. Choke or throttle setting changes do nothing.

The battery is good, just replaced it in May.

Last fall I replaced the "igniter" module after it refused to start at all back in October. That seemed to solve that problem, however, and it has run fine until 2 weeks ago when the current problem started.

Anybody have any ideas?

I'm thinking coil. However... Does anyone know how to test the coil in this machine? I want to be dang sure this is right before I go parts swapping because the coil for this machine is $100! Yikes.

Any other ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Grouse

cdestuck

Threads
Might try to see if it is fuel or spark related. When it wont, check the plug to see if there is spark. If there is no spark, then theres a good chance it might be the coil. If you have spark, then you might start going over the fuel system

ron jacobson

Forum Newbie
Threads
having same problem with SX75, have you found solution?

Hi Everybody, first post but been reading threads here for a while.

I have a Kawasaki-powered Deere SX75 rear engine rider. It starts great the first time, but after I run it for 20-30 minutes or more, it will NOT restart for love or money. I can mow with the machine for an hour and there are no symptoms of issues until I shut it off and then no way will it restart. No amount of cranking will produce even a cough or sputter. Choke or throttle setting changes do nothing.

The battery is good, just replaced it in May.

Last fall I replaced the "igniter" module after it refused to start at all back in October. That seemed to solve that problem, however, and it has run fine until 2 weeks ago when the current problem started.

Anybody have any ideas?

I'm thinking coil. However... Does anyone know how to test the coil in this machine? I want to be dang sure this is right before I go parts swapping because the coil for this machine is $100! Yikes.

Any other ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Grouse

having same problem with SX75, found solution yet? Ron Jacoson

D

Deleted member 97405

Re: having same problem with SX75, have you found solution?

having same problem with SX75, found solution yet? Ron Jacoson

I agree with cdestuck. We need to see if it has spark when you are trying to restart it. My thinking is that when you turn the engine off, air stops flowing around the coil area and allows it to get extremely hot, which may be enough to make it short out. With the engine running, the flywheel fan may be keeping it cool enough to not short out. So let's see if it has spark and go from there.

Since you are working on a hot engine, I would recommend buying a spark tester. You can get them fairly cheap anymore. I would buy one of those and plug it into the spark plug wire. Then crank the engine and see if you have spark. I am attaching pics of the testers recommended.

Capture1.JPG