JD 737 What is this tube????

Jimbo45

Threads
I just picked up a nice John Deere 737 ztrak mower yesterday and while looking it over found this tube on the carburetor. I'm guessing it is a breather tube but it looks like something has been attached to it at some point because the end is flared out? Is this how this tube is supposed to be arranged? It looks like a good place for dirt to enter the carburetor like this.
fm1uuGC.jpgSXv8PxI.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start the engine & put a damp finger near or on the tube outlet if it only blows it is a breather & was most likely hooked into the air filter case or tube.
If it does nothing then could be the fuel tank vent which now days has to be plugged into the carb
The important thing is where the other end of the tube goes.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is the carb bowl vent. That is the normal shape to have the end flared out on that tube. Most mowers don't even have the tube attached to the carb nipple, it is just open to the air. Not really a lot of inflow or outflow on those so not too big of an issue with dirt. Just have to watch for dirt daubers sometimes like to build next in them.

Jimbo45

Threads
Start the engine & put a damp finger near or on the tube outlet if it only blows it is a breather & was most likely hooked into the air filter case or tube.
If it does nothing then could be the fuel tank vent which now days has to be plugged into the carb
The important thing is where the other end of the tube goes.

The other end is attached to a curved nipple on the top of the carb

Jimbo45

Threads
It is the carb bowl vent. That is the normal shape to have the end flared out on that tube. Most mowers don't even have the tube attached to the carb nipple, it is just open to the air. Not really a lot of inflow or outflow on those so not too big of an issue with dirt. Just have to watch for dirt daubers sometimes like to build next in them.

Perfect, that is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

proFort

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi! ILENGINE correctly described everything!