Help! White wire came loose and I can’t figure out where it goes.....

nursebell

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help! White wire came loose and I can’t figure out where it goes.....
Help! Wire came loose/mower died and I can’t figure out where it goes.....

I’ve read in some forums about an issue with some of the Hustler Z’s not having enough power to the starter and people adding a wire as a fix. Could that be what this wire is? This model was made in April, 2007. I’m having some trouble figuring out exactly which years were affected by this.

I thought I was replying to my own post with the above and it somehow deleted my entire original post. :(

Attachments

• 4408F5EE-739E-4E06-A6B5-20E00350C445.jpg
    4408F5EE-739E-4E06-A6B5-20E00350C445.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 30DFEDBD-B05A-481F-8D2B-25ADC9CE120F.jpg
    30DFEDBD-B05A-481F-8D2B-25ADC9CE120F.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

rick.kinney

Threads
Re: Help! Wire came loose/mower died and I can’t figure out where it goes.....

check the under the seat switch interlock, the handle switch interlocks, and the fuel pump on the engine. without looking at mine or the manual I'm not certain, but the obvious would be the seat switch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW that wire is not a part of the original loom .

It is a bodge some one has wired in in order to bypass something
Orange is the colour Hustler use for the switched 12V So it could go to a dozen different places.
I will also hazard it is a seat switch bypass.
If the engine stopped dead then it is either a safety circuit wire or the solenoid wire.
Under the seat should be a plug with an orange and a tan wire.
If the plug is loose then the white wire will plug into the socket with the tan wire in it.

Does the engine crank when you turn the key ?

nursebell

Forum Newbie
Threads

Orange is the colour Hustler use for the switched 12V So it could go to a dozen different places.
If the engine stopped dead then it is either a safety circuit wire or the solenoid wire.
If the plug is loose then the white wire will plug into the socket with the tan wire in it.

Firstly, THANK YOU for taking the time to reply. I did buy the mower used and it’s been great for a couple years. I don’t believe the seat switch was bypassed because it would die anytime he gets off the seat while the blade is engaged. I will try what you suggested anyway, because I’m desperate. The wire is definitely not part of the original wiring harness and has been spliced to the orange wire that exits the back of the ignition, as I mentioned.

The engine doesn’t crank when I turn the key. There is a very slight scraping sound coming from the area of the starter, but it isn’t trying to turn over. It sounds like it isn’t getting spark, but I’m very much an amateur. I do a lot of the basic/simpler work on our automobiles (I’ve replaced alternators, AC compressors, a rack and pinion line, etc) I’m going to try jumping starting it in a few minutes, even though the battery doesn’t sound depleted. There’s is also a distinct click that comes from the general area of the carb solenoid - when I try to start it. Wiring to starter looks good. Wiring to coils looks good. Wiring to under seat switch looks good. I know I’m all over the place with my information and I appreciate your patience and time more than you could possibly know.

Ruthie

nursebell

Forum Newbie
Threads

check the under the seat switch interlock, the handle switch interlocks, and the fuel pump on the engine. without looking at mine or the manual I'm not certain, but the obvious would be the seat switch.

Thank you for responding. I’m going to look for the other two areas you mentioned. Had already checked and rechecked switch under the seat.

nursebell

Forum Newbie
Threads

I’m going to keep adding information as I encounter anything that might shed more light. He did say that, in the past, when the mower dies from him lifting off the seat, it kind of sputters and then dies. This time, he said it more abruptly died. Don’t know if that even matters. He did say that he hit a bump when it happened.

nursebell

Forum Newbie
Threads

Now I’m completely confused! I could hear the starter making a very weak sound and barely moving like it might betrying to turn - so I moved the flywheel slightly with the end of a wrench and it started spinning and started right up.

Is it possible that white wire wasn’t connected to anything at all and somehow just shook loose from somewhere it was stashed?

Any ideas as to why turning the flywheel would have caused it to start? Is the starter going bad? I turned it off and restarted it several times and it started right up each time. I have not used it under load yet or with the blades engaged. It’s still on the trailer. Will be doing that shortly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Time for a full service on that mower.
The starter motors are not very strong and can get hung up on the compression stroke if the valve lash is too big.
The battery cables are exposed to the elements so they corrode and won't pass heavy current .
The Hustler web page has the full service manual ( including wiring diagrams ) available free as a digital download.
That white wire could have been for an accessory like a weed sprayer or extra lights.
However the free end will be + 12V when ever the ignition switch is on so it needs to be covered to prevent a short circuit blowing fuses.