1998 John Deere 425 stopped while mowing, nothing, when tried to restart

Ldmilmain

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 1998 John Deere 425 stopped while mowing, nothing, when tried to restart
I have a 1998 John Deere 425. Was mowing, and it shut off, like I turned the key off. I do not have a manual. Tried to restart, nothing. Could someone, help me, where I should start checking? Thanks I’m advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The owners manual is on line from the JD web site
You can print out sections but not the whole book
Print out the electrical section.
It should show you where all of the fuses are , start by checking them
Cleaning the battery leads at both ends as well

Ldmilmain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I’ll start there. Very frustrating!

cdestuck

Threads
Try pulling the sparkplug out, put the wire back on the plug and ground the plug on the block and turn over the engine. If no spark, try a second plug to make sure the first wasn't bad. If both plugs fail to show a spark, you could have a bad coil or perhaps the ground/kill wire could be shorting out, killing the spark.

D

Deleted member 97405

Try pulling the sparkplug out, put the wire back on the plug and ground the plug on the block and turn over the engine. If no spark, try a second plug to make sure the first wasn't bad. If both plugs fail to show a spark, you could have a bad coil or perhaps the ground/kill wire could be shorting out, killing the spark.

I work at a Deere dealership. The most common issue with the ignition system on this model is the time delay module. It is located on the left side of the engine. If your tractor has the original one on it, it will be a square box with about five wires coming out of it. Don't confuse it with the ignitor module (bigger square box down low on the engine). If your's has the replacement module, it will be a round module tie-strapped to the harness on the left side of the engine with about five wires coming out of it. When these fail, you wont have spark at either spark plug. Sometimes tapping on the module with a screwdriver handle will make it fire again. If this is the case, replace the module. They arent expensive. The job of this module is to delay shutting down the engine by one or two seconds if you come off the seat. Good luck!

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

cdestuck

Threads
I work at a Deere dealership. The most common issue with the ignition system on this model is the time delay module. It is located on the left side of the engine. If your tractor has the original one on it, it will be a square box with about five wires coming out of it. Don't confuse it with the ignitor module (bigger square box down low on the engine). If your's has the replacement module, it will be a round module tie-strapped to the harness on the left side of the engine with about five wires coming out of it. When these fail, you wont have spark at either spark plug. Sometimes tapping on the module with a screwdriver handle will make it fire again. If this is the case, replace the module. They arent expensive. The job of this module is to delay shutting down the engine by one or two seconds if you come off the seat. Good luck!

View attachment 44687View attachment 44688

Thanks for passing this on to us. Good info