Husqvarna yht22v46 Turns over but won't start

dbow6163

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey I have purchased a Husqvarna yth22v46 with a 22 hp intek B&S from a lady a who let it sit out for a year or two. I got it for a good deal, and am trying to get it going! IMG_7644.jpgIMG_7646.jpg58108903667__2EA92966-29C2-4410-9E80-8CDAACBA863A.jpg

So far I have changed the oil, changed the spark plugs, replaced the starter, new fuel, recharged battery, cleaned and adjusted the magnetos. The fuel pump seems to be spitting out enough fuel, although i don't have much to compare it with. I believe i did a good job cleaning the carb. I'm not sure if the throttle and governor linkage was messed with before i bought it as when i move the throttle there is barely any movement. am i missing a spring?

This engine is turning over but it is not starting. Im hearing a Thump, thump, thump noise coming from the air intake area every now and again. Ive tried spraying it with a little starter fluid. All I'm getting is a bit of white smoke.

not sure where to go from here? I think its a fuel issue. any tips and suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks

not sure how to turn these pictures the right side up, sorry

platefire

Threads
You have done a lot of prep work to get it going. One thing I would want to know is if that spark plug is firing. To do this, I usually pull the plug. The plug has to be grounded to the engine block. This is with the plug wire still attached to the plug if you can find a place to lay it on the block and observe it while the engine turns over. It may take two people to accomplish this. In extreme cases you might have to wrap a piece of exposed wire(un-insulated) around the plug and attach it to the block to make a connection. Have someone turn the engine over while you observe the plug. If you see sparks jumping, it is firing.

So if it is firing, then you need to take another look at your fuel system and carburetor. If the fuel line is delivering fuel to your carburetor gas inlet then it's most likely still in the carburetor. There are some very good you tube videos on how to properly clean a carburetor. If it's not done right, it will not run. I dare say with the mower sitting up for a couple of years, there was a lot of corrosion to be cleaned up and a lot of small passages to be cleared out. If the spark is firing and your carburetor is working properly, you should be getting some kind of action with your engine trying to start.

This is true if your engine has got proper compression and your valves are working right. Most of the time that is not an issue but if everything else fails, is a possible problem that can be checked. Bob

bob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Toss a little fuel down the plug hole and see what happens
Engine fires a couple of times = spark is good & spark timing is good

Engine fires out the exhaust = stuck exhaust valve
Engine fires out the carb = stuck inlet or blown head gaasket.

Assuming it did fire normally then toss some fuel down the carb throat
Engine fires & runs the fuel out = valves are good ( or at least I side any way )

Engine does not fire = stuck valve.

Assuming the engine ran the fuel out.
remove the carb solenoid and plug the hole with whatever you can
engine fires & runs = duff solenoid
Engine does not run = bad carb or fuel supply to the carb.

Before you start pull the blower housing off and check the timing key
Should make a perfect square between the flywheel & crank shaft

Pull the rocker covers off and watch the valve operation.
They should sit out and push in to the same heights
Inlet & exhaust left & right.
While you are there set the valve lash

dbow6163

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys, I will be giving you an update asap!

RoadWarrior

Forum Newbie
Threads
The thump, makes it sound like it hit something and the key way has split under the magneto. You need a three-bolt puller to pull that off the top of the engine, and if it has crushed, just replace it. It is designed into small engines like this to keep them from catastrophic failure, in the even of hitting a rock or a tree stump or other substantial material. It puts the engine out of time if it gets crushed, and that is what causes the thumping noise. The spark plug will still fire, but it won't fire on proper timing.

turbofiat124

Threads
This may not be the case but worth checking.

After a stuck float valve had filled the crankcase and cylinder full of gas on a 17 HP B&S, it hydro-locked and I think this caused the valve clearance(s) to get out of adjustment.

I could get the engine to start with starter fluid. After it warmed up it would start without starter fluid. After adjusting the valve clearance it now fires right up. The hardest part is removing all that RTV off the head and valve cover that B&S used instead of a gasket. But only takes a couple of minutes to set the valve clearances.