Troy Bilt Pony problems

TomTroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the deck off of my Troy Bilt Pony to change the blades when I noticed that one blade turns freely in both directions and the other turns a little harder in only one direction. Is this normal? Also, can I start the tractor without the deck on it without causing damage to anything? It wouldn't crank before I removed the deck and I thought it might be one or both of the blades being stuck. I should also sheepishly mention that I hit the side of my house hard enough to flatten the left front tire. I put it in reverse and backed it down hill to a flatter surface so that I could take a look at it. It would not start after that. Flywheel was very hard to turn. I took a look at the flywheel key but it looks OK(not sheared). I put it back together and then I could turn the flywheel by hand a bit. It seemed to get looser and looser as I turned it, and I'd like to try to start it to find out if it will run before I change the blades and put the deck back on. I am pretty amateur at best and only know what I could find out on Youtube. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MowLife

Threads
You can trouble shoot the mower without deck on it. When you spin blade spindles make sure to remove the idler arm spring as this tension applies a brake to the blade spindle pulleys.

TomTroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can trouble shoot the mower without deck on it. When you spin blade spindles make sure to remove the idler arm spring as this tension applies a brake to the blade spindle pulleys.
The brakes are engaged on both spindles but the one spindle still turns freely in both directions. Is it safe to start the mower without the deck on it without causing some kind of damage?

MowLife

Threads
The spindle brake may be worn on one of them. You can run and drive the mower without the deck just make sure no deck hangers drag the ground and bend up.