Weedeater WE261 Wont go to fulll throttle

kh0432

Threads
I have a Weedeater We261 with a B&S 12S907 motor. The motor is a no prime with no throttle. Starts easy but only idles. When I got it the flywheel key was sheared and after replacing, it still wouldn't start. Had a really weak to non existing spark so I replaced the coil. Starts right up now but only idles. Can operate the throttle by hand and it revs fine. What should I look for in the governor?

MowLife

Threads
You can make sure the governor is adjusted and all springs and linkages are intact.

kh0432

Threads
BTW, as an afterthought, I haven't put the shroud back on because I wanted to make sure the engine would run. Does that have anything to do with directing air over the governor?

MowLife

Threads
The governor is internal and don’t get cooled by air. However don’t run an engine long without the shroud...it can overheat pretty quick.

kh0432

Threads
There must be a spring missing. I can open the choke and if I move the throttle linkage it doesn't spring back. I ordered a spring but the only problem is that the parts breakdown doesn't show it's location. There's no throttle cable on this engine so it looks to me that I'll have to pull the flywheel back off to see where the spring goes? A picture would be great.

kh0432

Threads
Re: Weedeater WE261 Slow in reverse

OK, engine problem fixed. The governor spring was missing. Figured out where it goes but now there's another problem. I may have to adjust the spring tension because it goes too fast in 1st gear but the big problem is that it crawls in reverse. I saw in other posts that there's an adjustment for the friction plate?