Fast clicking w blades on

Lawnman48

Threads
Brand new Liberty Z w Kawasaki engine. 10 hours. Did first oil change at 5 hours. Cut level acre.

Notice that when I engage blades there's a fast clicking or ticking sound. Not from engine as far as I can tell. Near the pulley belt area.

Starts, runs, cuts and operates like a dream. Oil and hydro levels great.

Is this just normal operating sounds? It's not harsh just noticeable.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not normal, if it is new back to your dealer for warranty service. Don’t void warranty by trying to fix it yourself.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get some one else to engage & disengage the blades while you watch the clutch from the rear ( remember eye protection ).
A lot of clutches have a bit too much play between the housing and the anchor pin / plate which can sound like a click or rattle.
If it sounds more like the deck then have a close look at the spring on the tensioning arm.

If things look loose then as suggested above send an email to the dealer you bought it from, and KEEP A COPY.
This can be important latter is a warranty claim needs to be substantiated.

Lawnman48

Threads
Thanks for the thoughts. Will take it in after the holiday weekend.

Kinda annoying that a machine that costs as much as it did has a (potential) problem already. I went with Scag because I wanted a premium product.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
When returning to the dealer with the complaint don't be surprised if the first words from them has something to do with the possibility of operator error. That must have been a prominent subject in dealer/salesman school because it's sure used frequently.

Luffydog

Threads
Do you have the throttle wide open?

Lawnman48

Threads
Yup, WOT.

I'm going to try to get a vid of it to post tomorrow. I'm 50\50 if it's a real problem or just the sound of the belts running. They are heavy duty. Coming from old Craftsman rider - it was just a rhythmic drone when the blades were engaged. This is a whole different machine.