Blades getting damaged

microsvc

Threads
Troy Built rider mower, 42" purchased in 2017.
The blades are getting chopped up as shown in this picture.
I only drive this on my lawn. Any suggestions why this is happening?

20190629_162030.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hard packed grass is wearing the ends of the air lifts off. happens quite frequently as well as debris cutting off the air lift at the upturn bend point. See a lot of blades from people that mow their lawns low that don't survive a single mowing season.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sand/dirt also attributes to that if one swings out of the grass onto the sand/dirt to make turn arounds without disengaging the pto.

microsvc

Threads
Sand/dirt also attributes to that if one swings out of the grass onto the sand/dirt to make turn arounds without disengaging the pto.

I wish I could say that I go into dirt, but I dont. Good thought though.

microsvc

Threads
Hard packed grass is wearing the ends of the air lifts off. happens quite frequently as well as debris cutting off the air lift at the upturn bend point. See a lot of blades from people that mow their lawns low that don't survive a single mowing season.

That's possible. Do you think the extreme blades would work better? They have the "teeth" on the air lift side.

MowLife

Threads
Here in Florida I go through several sets a season. I do mow commercially so I wear them quicker that a residential user would. Sand and if you have pensacola Bahia will wear the wings down real quick. A low lift blade will last longer but doesn’t lift grass as well. Most of us use Gator blades now as they last a lot longer. If your mulching it will cut the life of the blade also. Gator blades are considered a mulching type blade but we run them with the shoot open.

microsvc

Threads
Do you think the extreme blades would work better? They have the "teeth" on the air lift side.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you think the extreme blades would work better? They have the "teeth" on the air lift side.

They should last a little longer because the blades tend to be thicker than the standard blade.

MowLife

Threads

I think we are talking about the same blade. Gator blades have the “teeth” your taking about.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Extreme is the MTD OEM version of the Gator blade.