Hustler FasTrak 42” deck belt issue

Terryhflyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
My deck belt started to have a burning rubber smell so I thought the belt was bad. I put a new one on and it still smells like burning rubber when I turn on the deck blades. No burning smell when I have the deck belt off and turn on the deck switch. I think it is the HUSTLER 601162 - PULLEY IDLER (#3 on the diagrams) it has some hard rubber or something on the pulley that I can’t get off. Also, I noticed when I took the pull off the pulley would not spin on it’s own. Does it have bearings that have seized up or does that pulley not move?

5AEF0BFA-5655-4373-AC55-84204D3500B7.jpg91FC09E5-1BCC-4980-9D86-EB162ABA59E8.png174C9166-4F1A-4E92-A246-C308E8E78867.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All pulleys spin that is why they are round.
If one does not spin easily, freely & quietly the bearing is toast.
The bearings in pulleys are captive in all mowers apart from those made in Europe where they are replacable.
So yes you will need to replace the pulley and unfortunately the belt.

The Chairman

Threads
Bearings fail all the time. A burning smell usually means that the belt is off the belt and rubbing on something or a pulley has stopped turning. Whenever your belt is off, spin every pulley you can. They should turn easily and silently. I often replace all bearing together.

rick.kinney

Threads
Bearings fail all the time. A burning smell usually means that the belt is off the belt and rubbing on something or a pulley has stopped turning. Whenever your belt is off, spin every pulley you can. They should turn easily and silently. I often replace all bearing together.

I have even had the dealer put on a new pully only for it to mess up after 1 time of use. The dealer went to put on a new pully and I checked it before the install and that one had the bearing pressed in crooked, so be aware. make sure you get a good one.

The Chairman

Threads
I have even had the dealer put on a new pully only for it to mess up after 1 time of use. The dealer went to put on a new pully and I checked it before the install and that one had the bearing pressed in crooked, so be aware. make sure you get a good one.
Yes, even the pros can fail. However, they should have spun it and checked it out BEFORE they gave it back to you. Always check your work and recheck if at all possible.