Transmission belt keeps getting chewed up.

JPDoyle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought my 1046 in 2013 and had 0 issues with it until this spring when I had the transmission belt come off the pulley. The belt wasn't cut in two, but had chunks ripped out of it and a lot of other damage. With some effort I was able to replace the belt and everything worked great until this morning. After about 8 - 10 hours of mowing since last replacing this belt I have the same issue. I can replace the belt, but as many already know it can be a pain to do so. So I'm asking for thoughts, and experience from others that might have had the same issue and how you dealt with it. My wife says buy 3 belts this time, but I'd rather this not be a routine thing. lol

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We need a bit more info before we can help you. First give us the units model and serial numbers, so we can see what type of tranny and drive system you have. Second are you using OEM belts? Third did you check the idler pulleys when you changed the belt, making sure they have good bearings and running true? Are you sure you routed the belt properly, not over a belt guide instead of under?

JPDoyle

Forum Newbie
Threads
We need a bit more info before we can help you. First give us the units model and serial numbers, so we can see what type of tranny and drive system you have. Second are you using OEM belts? Third did you check the idler pulleys when you changed the belt, making sure they have good bearings and running true? Are you sure you routed the belt properly, not over a belt guide instead of under?

Thanks for your quick response. I'm sure I routed the belt correctly and I checked the idler pulleys as well and made sure they were free and seemingly running true. Serial number is 1B184H30096, and the model # is 13AX93AT056 767-101 Date of Manufacture 02/2014. I was thinking the mower was purchased in 2013, but I guess it was 2014. As for the belt; this one was not OEM; I had ordered what the Home Depot site said was the proper OEM belt only to find it to be 5" too short so I went to a local belt shop and had them measure the old belt and give me a new one. It likely wasn't OEM quality but I thought it would surely last longer than 4 mowings. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now that I can see your unit, there are only three things which would cause your problem. It is probably the easiest and simplest unit to change a drivebelt on. One, belt not routed correctly. Make sure you check on the back side of the tranny that the belt is in the pulley all the way around. Two, make sure you have the correct belt. The part number you need is 954-04297. Three. Remove each one of the three idler pulleys and make sure they spin true.

JPDoyle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Rivets; I have ordered the correct belt and will definitely check all of the idler pulleys. Thanks again for your quick responses and your help!