Runs fine for five minutes, then dies

barry_g

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just picked up an old Murray 20 push mower with Briggs & Stratton 3.5 Classic engine. When cold, it starts up fine and seems to run strong. After about 5 minutes of mowing, power seems to drop, doesn't run as smoothly and then dies and won't restart until it rests for quite a while and then cycle repeats. Would appreciate any advice on troubleshooting.

Luffydog

Threads
Sounds like the classic coil issues. After it’s quits check for spark

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also typical of a punctured diaphragm on the fuel pump,
partially blocked fuel filter
hole in the fuel reseviour inside the tank.
Valve lash that is too small will also do some thing similar.
As the valves get hot & expand they touch on the pushrods & don't quite close fully

barry_g

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which of these possible problems would require the mower to sit for 30+ minutes before being able to be restarted?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mostly the valve lash

Then the partially blocked fuel filter

barry_g

Forum Newbie
Threads
I opened the fuel filler cap and was surprised to see that the mower ran through almost an entire tank of gas after running only 15 minutes or so. The gas consumption is abnormally high. Could there be an issue causing fuel flow to be way too high and also possibly causing flooding that might explain what I'm seeing?

nbpt100

Threads
I would check the valve lash first. The intake may not have enough clearance and when it expands from the heat of running it no longer closes fully and you get combustion gases forced into the intake.

If they are in spec then I would next check the ignition coil. Good luck.