New 42" Cut Husqvarna with a lot of Deck Vibration

deminin

Threads
Yes I have the downloaded parts manual but don't find a "Stabilized Bar" but does have "Sway Bar" on the exploded parts diagram. I will check the deck to see if that's in place---pretty sure it is?!?

One thing I was noticing browsing the pages of the parts manual it had a paragraph and picture about balancing your blade. I never considered balancing the blades??? The said with the blade off the mower, using a bolt through the center hold of blade hold the blade up and a perfectly balanced blade would remain horizontal but if the blade was unbalanced, one side would rotate downward---har! the old gravity method. They said the side that drifted down you would need to sharpen it more until it was balanced. I might give that a shot next time I sharpen my blades. Bob

Keeping the blades balanced is important....hitting a rock, etc., can chip the blade, and cause vibration, etc. Rather than suspending the blade on a bolt, here is a neat little tool that does the job nicely....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotary-MOW...285072?hash=item3d8d19d390:g:M8kAAOSwZeRdAc3m

platefire

Threads
OK, Thanks for the link on the blade balancer. I looked at that and even watched a video of a more fancier version that mounts on the wall, has magnets and also has rod to check your blade for being warped.

On my situation, is a bit of a mystery how it starts to vibrate and then smooths out. Never had that before. I've inspected the deck multiple time and can't find anything out of order that I can put my finger on. From past experience usually when I had a problem I couldn't find, if it's a part going out, it will usually get worst and raise its ugly head where you can then identify it. Being this is a new mower purchased in April 19, can't imagine a part going out this early.

Someone ask did I try it out first??? This leads to a whole "LOWES" story. Yes I did try it out! I ask LOWES if I picked out my mower that I personally tested, would that mower be delivered to my house. They told me yes several times. I ask them multiple times to assure myself they wern't jacking me around. So I got a lawn mower guy to come out with a key and I fired the mower up, checked operation of transmission and deck. Everything worked good. So I got the serial number off the mower. Guess what??? The mower that was delivered to my house was the same model Husq but and different serial number. I couldn't believe it!!! after all the assurances I got from them. I should of made them take it back but decided to have the delivery man unload it and go through another test. Everything seemed OK, so I accepted it.

Regarding Warranty: The warranty that comes with it is very limited. The extra warranty that covers everything was IMHO too expensive. So since I'm a half way decent lawn more mechanic, I decided I would check operation of the main features, if they were working good and I maintained it properly, it would most likely be good to go. Never had a deck or transmission not work. This deck vibe issue kind of showed up after the fact. Love the mower, and sooner or later I will conquer this issue--of course with your help :wink: Bob

deminin

Threads
OK, Thanks for the link on the blade balancer. I looked at that and even watched a video of a more fancier version that mounts on the wall, has magnets and also has rod to check your blade for being warped. Bob

The thing I would watch for, regarding deck vibration, on virtually Any mower, would be an issue with the belt pulleys....working loose, etc. There is a belt idler pulley....item #36 on this deck IPL....that might be especially prone to working loose, and causing vibration which eventually will break or throw the belt. The idler pulley, or a spindle drive pulley that isn't fully tightened can cause excess vibration and noise. Since I had such an issue a couple of years ago, I loosen my belts, and check these pulleys a couple times a year.

https://www.messicks.com/hus/124938

scroll down the list of diagrams on this site to the "Deck"...to see the pulley I would most suspect....#36,

platefire

Threads
Revelation! Thanks deminin! because of your link you attached I just learned that I downloaded the wrong Parts Manual. It is a Model # YTH18542 but----the correct numeric number associated with the model for mine is (96045005900) and the number manual I downloaded is (96013000202) which is different than my deck in it has additional parts my deck don't have such as:

#44 Mandrel Guards(would have had to jerk this off anyway)

#91, 94, 95, 132, 182 & 183 Nose Roller Assembly

#6 Sway Bar and all the associated parts that go with it

I'm sure it has some other differences but those are the major one. No sway Bar on Mine!

Also I checked pulley #36 shown on your referenced link on my mower. The pulley is mounted tight in the deck with no movement, there is no looseness in rotation of the pulley or restriction in rotation. I felt for any bends or warps in the pulley and it appears in great shape best I can tell.

So I'm happy to have the right parts manual now. I haven't had to use it up to now, so that would have been kind of confusing when things don't match up. So this manual you linked does match what I got. Thanks, Bob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hope this is your problem.
However check that both the mower & the deck has a space for the sway bar.
It could very well be that in order to meet Lowes price demands AYP fitted a cheaper deck.
Also a very good chance that the test mower at Lowes has the good deck & what they deliver has the cheaper deck.
It would not be the first time this has happened.

deminin

Threads
Revelation! Thanks deminin! because of your link you attached I just learned that I downloaded the wrong Parts Manual. It is a Model # YTH18542 but----the correct numeric number associated with the model for mine is (96045005900) and the number manual I downloaded is (96013000202) which is different than my deck in it has additional parts my deck don't have such as:
So I'm happy to have the right parts manual now. I haven't had to use it up to now, so that would have been kind of confusing when things don't match up. So this manual you linked does match what I got. Thanks, Bob

Glad I could help...having the right manuals is a Must when trying to fix anything...hopefully your "vibration" may have just been some buildup of grass/debris, but if it reoccurs, stop and check it out at your first opportunity.

platefire

Threads
  • / New 42" Cut Husqvarna with a lot of Deck Vibration
Well I thought I had the right parts manual but this discussion made me realize i didn't.

Operator Manuals and parts manuals are very important to me. Every mower I buy is like an endurance test to see how long I can make it last.
From my experience so far the life of the mower is generally is in the life of the mower deck. I can usually get the motor, frame and drive/transmission to out last the mower deck. Then you find it is not feasible to buy a replacement deck to keep it going so you buy a new mower---unless you can pickup a good used deck at a reasonable price---which I never have benn able to do yet.

I bought this Husq to replace my 2009 Craftsman 42" cut lawn tractor because I've had that deck welded twice and it's full of rusts holes but still working at this point. So the wife and I have been using both of them to mow with which makes the chore go a lot faster. IMHO when a mower gets so wore out that you have to repair it before or during evey mowing, it's time to retire it and get a new one. Bob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Several ways to increase deck life
1) blow the deck down with COMPRESSED air after every mow
2) spray the deck with WD 40 or similar from a trigger pack not a spray can at the end of every season.
Decks always rust out from the top.
I have some customers with decks that are more weld than pressing.
We have a lot of mowers with swing back blades up to 10" long and they make excellent patch plates.

Scraping clumps off from under the decks will improve the air flow & cut but makes little difference to the deck life as once it is caked on & dry water can not get through it so it makes a barrier to rusting.

MowLife

Threads
Have you tried a new set of blades? We had this problem as you described that only vibrated at a certain rpm range. Sort of like a automotive wheel vibrating at a certain speed. Out of balance but not noticeable at all times.

platefire

Threads
Thanks Bertsmobile1 for the tips on extending deck life. I don't have compressed air but I do blow it off with a leaf blower after every mowing. I use to wash it down with a water hose after every mowing but found out the electrical wiring don't like that very much!:confused2:

The new Husq has a deck wash connection I have never used yet. You hook a water hose up to the connection, fire up your mower and engage the deck. Going to give it a shot prertty soon and try that out.

Mowlife---it has crossed my mind about trying a new set of blades to see if that helps. If I can overcome my cheap-scate ways I might go ahead and spring for a new set and see how it goes :thumbsup: