Gravely Promaster 44Z Mulching Blades

satman858

Threads
I just bought some new mulching blades for my Gravely Promaster 44Z and have not replaced them in a few years. With that I have a couple of questions to ask the good people of this forum.

1.) If I remember correctly the bolts holding the 3 blades are reverse thread bolts. Is this correct?

2.) What would be the proper ft lb. torque for these mulching blades?

MowLife

Threads
Goot-n-tight. With reverse threaded bolts I normally get them tight but not hammer them on with an impact. Usually they tighten more as you use them and if too tight I find them hard to remove. I’ve never used a torque wrench on blades so can’t help you there.

satman858

Threads
I guess nobody in this forum knows the proper ft lb. torque for the mulching blades on my 13 year old Gravely Promaster 44Z .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spec will be between 40 & 60 ftlbs.
This is for brand new bolts in a clean dry thread neither of which you have.
The previous poster gave you good information.
I don't know of any one who actually torques the blades on a ride on.
I obsessed over it when I kicked off and spent hours chasing up specs for the mowers I was working on.
Stopped doing this after the first year .
As previously mentioned they self tighten in use.

satman858

Threads
I was told by one gravely dealer that it was 60 ft lbs, and told by another dealer to snug them up, and that they will tighten as I cut the grass. Since I removed them with home compressor impact, I just softly snugged them with the impact. Oh yea, and by the way the blade bolts were not reverse thread bolts, they were normal right hand bolts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW all right hand discharge blades are held on with normal right hand fasteners.
Center discharge decks with counter rotating blades will have a right & a left hand thread on the right & left hand throw blades respectively
At least 10 times a year I have to grind the heads off bade bolts because my 2800 ftlb impact wrench will not remove them.
Even the 1" impact we use on rusty tractor bolts running off the jack hammer compressor will not shift them.
Cut off the heads then the bolts screw right out with fingers .
Thus it was off the the bolt shop for a couple of boxes of grade 9 bolts to fit the various shafts.
Three cuts through the heads then a smack with the cold chisel takes about 10 minutes, the impact wrench can take hours and time is money.
And no ever complains about paying for new blade bolts.

If this is your home mower, buy 2 or 3 sets of blades and change them every few months.
This will keep the blade bolts from overtightening and also give you plenty of time to sharpen & balance the dull blades so you will always have a sharp set on hand.
Some of my commercial customers change blades every job.
They took the time to record the mowing times & blade changing times and worked out they saves near an hour a day by always having sharp blades.
So 1 hour a day for one man is saving 1 hour a day for a 4 man crew.
It also means they clean out the underside of the deck so they are not transferring weeds from one job to another.