drive belt is worn and stretched where the mower isn't fast moving at all.

The Brain

Threads
  • / drive belt is worn and stretched where the mower isn't fast moving at all.
hello I think the drive belt is worn and stretched where the mower isn't fast moving at all.drivebelt w cutter inguaged.jpgdrivebelt1.jpgdrivebelt2.jpgdrivebelt3.jpgloose spring.jpg
usually mow every 2 weeks previous mow seamed OK.

I was able to mow the back yard yesterday however it was very slow.

notice the huge amount of slack in belt this slack is reduced when cutter is engaged but there's still way to much slack.

can I loosen the frames collar and slide the frame forward for desired belt tension or is the belt stretched to much?

I observed a loose spring in last image.

the mower seriel # 2012912220 it's a 2006 rear engine 12.5 horse power riding mower I would like a new belt how long is it ?

I think it's a 28" deck

any tips on the belt swap like where to obtain a decent belt I'm thinking it's a 72"
Snapper Belt 37X72MA and install tips is appreciated
TB

deminin

Threads
hello I think the drive belt is worn and stretched where the mower isn't fast moving at all.View attachment 44529View attachment 44530View attachment 44531View attachment 44532View attachment 44533 I observed a loose spring in last image. TB

That Last picture...showing the belt tensioner spring being so loose...is your best clue. It might be possible for the belt to stretch so much, but a more likely issue is a belt tensioner assm. that is stuck and not putting any pressure on the belt. Given the amount of "debris" that your pictures show, I would suggest a real good cleaning of this mower, than see if your tensioner is actually doing anything.

The Brain

Threads
OK this makes alot of sense will be cleaning are you thinking the tensioner is jammed up w/ flith?

been using the snapper for 3 years and have never removed the cover so I never knew of the amount of accumulated debris there was actuelly more.

after cleaning how to test the tensioner just shift the blade on? the manuel states there should be 1 -1 1/4" inbetween the belt at the tensioner.

would you happen to know the length of belt?
Thanks for being so kind and advicing a newb. to the snapper TB

will report back after cleaning.

The Brain

Threads
OK got her cleaned. I believe a mouse setup residence under the cover w/ a cotton nest.

the spring tensioner is tight when blade isn't engaged that collar is also tight.

when blade is engaged there's alot of slack at the spring like in the last image.

either way blade inguaged or not there's more than the 1" 1 1/4" gap inbetween the belt.

also observed a small cracks in belt.

edit:when you say "belt tensioner assm" are referring to the small pulley in image 2? if yes should it be pushed over reducing slack? TB

The Brain

Threads
after cleaning I was able to mow the front I think it just needs a belt that isn't stretched. they have them local for $20. + tax total $22.
not sure if it's a chinese knockoff. or are all belts made in china?

doe's the loose spring sound normal?
Thanks TB

MowLife

Threads
When blades are engaged belt tension spring should be tight. If you have cracks in your belt ...that should be your problem.

The Brain

Threads
so then tension is backwards on my snapper?

deminin

Threads
after cleaning I was able to mow the front I think it just needs a belt that isn't stretched. they have them local for $20. + tax total $22.
not sure if it's a chinese knockoff. or are all belts made in china? doe's the loose spring sound normal? thanks TB

I'm not familiar with these Snappers, but the Purpose of a belt tensioner is to keep the belt tight. It sounds like you may have 2 problems....a worn belt, And a tensioner that isn't doing anything. I looked and found a UTube video that shows how to replace the belt and adjust the belt tension.....This video doesn't say anything about the "spring"....but it's a place to start.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARA2P3EXdgY

The Brain

Threads
yeah been watching him and Jim the fixit the slower talker both know. not sure about the guy prying on the belt keeper.

wonder what would cause the tension to be backwards?TB

MowLife

Threads
If the tension is backwards it is possible the belt is not routed correctly.