Sharpening Blades

Threads
Do you sharpen your blades yourself when they get dull or do you just replace the blades or the mower? If you sharpen them how do you go about it?

Stash

Threads
I sharpen my blades. Put them in a vise, clamping on the middle area, and use a flat b@stard file, following the bevel on each end. Then I hang the blade by the middle hole on a nail sticking out from a stud in the garage. If the blade dips to one end, I run the file on that bevel a few more strokes until the blade hangs level.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Stash has the best method.. but for those that don't want to put that much time into it ... A belt sander will make a beautiful edge, you can make it as sharp as you like without burning the blade... The next short cut method is a 4.5 inch grinder, but you do have to be careful not to burn the metal.... I try to follow up with a file, just to make myself think I'm being accurate. :tongue: KennyV

173abn

Threads
Kenny,I'm going to try the belt sander thing,what grit sanderpaper do you suggest? russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Russ...
220 grit will generally keep things sharp ... if you have dings to remove you can go coarser to true up an edge.
Keep things moving you will get the feel of it after a few passes... Like any friction material you can build heat, so dip your edge in water to keep it cool enough to handle, you do not want to heat the edge... KennyV

VRman

Threads
I use a bench grinder to sharpen mine. One side has a metal brush that I use to remove the debris. I've been doing it for years. There is a learning curve to it, but once you have it down, it is quick and easy. I also use the nail/blade balancer to keep from wearing out the spindle prematurely.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a bench grinder to sharpen mine. One side has a metal brush that I use to remove the debris. I've been doing it for years. There is a learning curve to it, but once you have it down, it is quick and easy. I also use the nail/blade balancer to keep from wearing out the spindle prematurely.

I scrape off the heavy debris with a putty knife, use a wire wheel in a drill to remove what is left, then touch up the cutting edge with a file. Have never used a grinder on mower blades because its too easy to ruin a blade by overheating. By using a file you have better control and don't remove too much material by mistake.

And wear safety glasses and heavy gloves, no matter what your method of sharpening is.

Threads
I didn't think I would get an answer other than: take it to a specialty shop at best, get a new one if its a push mower. Thanks! This is really detailed information!

dourobob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great advice on the file vs the grinder - don't ask me how I know :laughing:

Roger Emerick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Read the threads. I alternate between using a angle grinder & a file. I read a recurrent theme of heat avoidance. Would appreciate a more detailed discussion of this subject such as how can you tell when you've heated the blade too much, and what are the operational and life consequences, etc. Thanks. ... oh and, this is my first input/use of the forum and I see "Trackback" below. Don't know what that means.