Troy bilt pto belt problems

Rosco2002

Threads
I have a 2001 troy bilt model 13ax609g063 with 42" deck. I bought it used from family and have nothing but trouble with the pto belt. You can put a new belt on and mow for 15 to 20 minutes and the belt will be twisted and all eat up. It looks to me like the belt is forced to make to much of a bent between clutch and the deck. Anyone got any ideas?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Rosco2002

Threads
I dont have the double pulley and that may be the whole problem it is using one belt from motor to blades . I will get a picture up today.

Last edited:

Rosco2002

Threads
Maybe these will get us singing off the same hymn sheet

Attachments

• 20190626_052119.jpg
    20190626_052119.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190626_052152.jpg
    20190626_052152.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 8

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The pictures don't show anything really odd. Make sure the belt isn't rubbing something. It would leave a shiny spot on metal unless the belt is passing too close to itself and rubbing itself. Double check your model number since that model comes back to a two belt deck with double idler arm pulleys and manual pto engagement. I found a similar setup on another 2001 but it shows your belt tension setup for the 46 inch deck not your 42.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes that belt run is too severe.

With the amount of bolt poking out of the top of the idler it definately looks like some on has replaced a two high stacked idler with a single idler and then run the mower with one belt in place of two belts.
Either that or it mis a replacement deck from a different MTD mower.
When MTD took over Cub Cadet they converted all of their decks to the Cub quick detatch system so it became easy to fit a very large number of wrong decks.
On a 3 pulley deck, usually the deck itself moves to tension the belt
Wit a fixed deck you usually have 4 pulleys, two spindle pulleys and a fixed idler & a tensioning idler so your deck set up looks very wrong to me.

Rosco2002

Threads
After hours of searching I found a diagram showing my setup. And it shoes to be all correct. But dang IV never seen a belt made to run with that angle on it and be expected to last anytime. I may be doing some modifying.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After hours of searching I found a diagram showing my setup. And it shoes to be all correct. But dang IV never seen a belt made to run with that angle on it and be expected to last anytime. I may be doing some modifying.

To me it looks like a manual PTO deck fitted to a mower with an electric PTO and that angle is way too steep.
The other thing that could have happened is the wrong spindles could have been fitted.
MTD do that housing in a lot of different heights.

Pull it out and see if there is evidence of bits that used to be there that are now missing.
Running the deck substantially higher will of course have the belt running at a better angle.
You should never cut grass lower than 2" unless it is a putting green.