Mower deck Mower deck spindle broken

gwfami

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I recently inherited a 1998 Craftsman lawn mower, model 917.270780, with a 42 inch EZ3 mower deck. Yesterday the spindle on the deck broke all 3 mounts rendering the mower useless. I've gone online to order a new one, but I see so many different types and I'm not sure which kind to order. It does have 3 mounting points, but I am unable to figure out the model number of the mower deck, nothing labeled anywhere on it. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

gwfami

gwfami

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks,
The item isn't listed, at least I can't find it. Here's some pics showing the deck and the broken part, Snapped right off.
20190625_144538.jpg20190625_144553.jpg20190625_144705.jpg20190625_144715.jpg

I've found similar ones on the internet, the issue is I don't know which one is the correct size for my machine.
81l0lWe3WJL._SX466_.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are 2 three arm housings, a long one & a short one.
There are 2 different spindle lengths in the short housing and 3 different lengths in the long housing.
All of the after market parts companies list the lengths of the spindles along with the cross refference to the original part number
SO go to Oregon, Stens, Rotary or Prime Line , Search "Spindle Assembly" or "AYP Spindle Assembly" which might cut down the list a bit.
The find the one that is the same length as yours.
Most of these are made in Korea or China and have METRIC threads which makes no difference to the functioning but of course you will need metric wrenches to fit them.
All of them come with plain holes that need to be threaded prior to instalation .
Some will come with the 3 bolts , some don't.
I use an old bolt to cut the thread because the threads a are shallow and have very rounded ends ( to prevent cracking ) and cutting the thread with a std die will result in a loose fitting bolt.
I always apply some copper anti-seize to the bolts to prevent them breaking off when they need to be removed.

Unless you enjoy working on your mower, make sure you buy them from a real mower shop or from a retailer listed on one of the suppliers web sites.
There are lot of very cheap spindles on the web. These are the ones that failed quality control and were bought as scrap for $ 1.75 then sold on as being a good part.
Usually they are supplied without bolts and listed as "unbranded" OEM , fits xyz.
A collapsed spindle bearing or housing usually bends a blade, cuts gouges in the deck and wrecks the belt, so a really cheap one can be a really expensive one very quickly.

When you get yours apart, check the condition of the spline in the top pulley, as a complete assembly including pulley is cheaper than a shaft + a pulley bought individually .
If you do this check the pulley diameter as the different size decks have different diameter pulleys.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I just went to the site I posted and you didn’t look hard enough, just find the parts diagram for the deck, it is there. You will notice small pictures good across the center, scroll to the left, last picture.

gwfami

Forum Newbie
Threads
That certainly could be, my expertise is in microscopic freshwater shrimp, not mower deck spindles. :)

I'm going to remove it tomorrow, should it have a number stamped on it somewhere or is this just wishful thinking?

Cusser

Threads
I'm going to remove it tomorrow, should it have a number stamped on it somewhere or is this just wishful thinking?

Assemble the broken parts together, and measure the center hole-to hole distance and post that. And measure the top stud to bottom distance, I'll tell you if that matches the spindles I use on my 2005 Craftsman, and supply the part number and source.

I suggest buying complete spindles with the mandrels already installed, new bearings, etc.

gwfami

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks,
The length of the spindle housing is 5 3/8 inches, the shaft is ~7" long. I'm hoping I can find the studs to measure, may take me a while.

Assemble the broken parts together, and measure the center hole-to hole distance and post that. And measure the top stud to bottom distance, I'll tell you if that matches the spindles I use on my 2005 Craftsman, and supply the part number and source.

I suggest buying complete spindles with the mandrels already installed, new bearings, etc.

gwfami

Forum Newbie
Threads
The pully is 5 3/8", the studs, which were completely broken off and had to look for them on the shop floor, are 1 1/4" long.