Cracked and leaking gas tank. Obsolete! Not available.

Offramp

Threads
  • / Cracked and leaking gas tank. Obsolete! Not available.
2004 Craftsman DLT 3000 (917.273502) started leaking gas from the plastic fuel tank. Looked for a replacement through sears parts direct but tank part number 179022 comes up as The manufacturer no longer makes this part and no substitute is available”.
Looking for good suggestions on how to repair the cracked plastic tank or finding a replacement.
J B Weld?
Fiberglass?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seeing that used ones are going for over $ 200 that makes it economical to get yours repaired.
DO NOT PUT ANY GOOP ON YOUR TANK
Take it to a plastic welder and get it fixed.
Most fuel tanks are HDPE which is also what we use for milk bottles so I join cracks with a special soldering iron tip then patch over the top of the crack with a sheet of milk bottle using a hot air welder & silicon roller.

Offramp

Threads
Well a bad diagnosis on my part. Once I got the rear body section off the mower and the gas tank removed, I could see the real leak. It was not a cracked tank, it was the fuel bushing and/or the 90 degree elbow insert on the bottom of the gas tank. Found those two parts searching for Huskvarna tanks and parts on eBay for about $15.00 and gas tank leak is now fixed.

Thank you Bertsmobile1 and Mechanic Mark for the suggestions.

NorthBama

Threads
I repaired a fuel tank crack with it. A new tank priced at 162 dollars and yes the little holder is good for cool down