Poulan Pro mower deck too low

GC Frank

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ever since i bought it 4 years ago, the deck has always been too low. The mower has 6 levels to adjust to, but at the highest level I am just under 3 inches. How can I adjust the deck to make it higher so I can do a better job on my lawn. There has to be something that I am missing or why would the company put out a product where at the lowest setting if the guide wheels were not on, the deck scrapes the dirt.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There may be an adjustment rod on each that are normally used for leveling but you may be able to gain a little height if you can adjust both sides. The reason that the deck scraps the ground is because a lot of people like to scalp their lawns when they mower, and then complain that the blades don't last more than a couple mowings.

Bob E

Threads
I have the same problem. The lowest 2 settings are completely useless, it actually starts binding and lifting the tractor. The lifting rod on the right side is solid and the left side has to be adjusted to match. I can only get 3" in the highest setting with the front of the deck completely level with the back. Even though the tractor was advertised as having a maximum cutting height of 4". Recently, on this forum I think, I read there is supposedly a secret adjustment that you have to look for. I don't see it, and there is only 1/4" gap between the frame and the deck, the belt already rubs the front of the deck, and there is less than an inch gap between the deck and the right rear tire. :confused3:
I think the easiest way to get that last 1/4" would be by replacing or modifying the notched plate for the lift lever on the fender. Or just remove the plate and tie the lever all the back.
I've also thought about trying to add "lifting" blocks between the frame and transaxle, but I imagine that wouldn't make the drive belt happy and it would give the transaxle a longer lever to work on cracking the frame in the future...

Bob E

Threads
worked :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_2313.JPG
    IMG_2313.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 10

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There may be an adjustment rod on each that are normally used for leveling but you may be able to gain a little height if you can adjust both sides. The reason that the deck scraps the ground is because a lot of people like to scalp their lawns when they mower, and then complain that the blades don't last more than a couple mowings.

Love em,
A new set of blades every season + a set of spindle bearings every 2nd season.
Tried as hard as I can to "educate " them but to no avail.
Apparently some one on Twotter or Faeces book said if you mow your grass at 1" or lower snakes will not cross it , so, of course 1" it has to be.
OTOH it did allow me to get rid of a stack of reel mowers I inherited with the business.
The one that amused me the most was the customer who mows her grass at 1/2" so the eagles & Kookas can see the snakes crossing it. then recounts the story of an eagle dropping from 100' to take a skink ( 4" long lizard ) from a tussock plant with leaves 4' long.