B&S Ohv engine runs for a second and dies

Cwv1971

Forum Newbie
Threads
We are working on a Generac portable generator. Wouldn't run initially. We had a bad fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump. Then while trying to start, it was pushing oil out of the valve cover. So we figured it was either out of time, or a blown head gasket. So we took the head off and noticed what appeared to be a spot between the combustion chamber and intake on the head gasket that looked like it could be the culprit. Got a new head gasket. Put it all back together. Adjusted the rocker arms to around .004 of an inch. Poured a little bit of True Fuel in the intake on top of the carburetor. It will run,if every few seconds I pour a bit of fuel in the top of the carburetor. What could it be.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Time to remove and clean the carb. the jets in the carb are most likely plugged.

Cwv1971

Forum Newbie
Threads
We done that yesterday evening. Could it be a bad oil pressure switch or sensor? Whatever that switch is. At least at this point it is not pushing oil out the valve cover

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can keep the engine running by pouring fuel down the carb throat then obviously the carb is not passing fuel into the engine.
So either the carb is not working or it is not getting enough fuel supply.
There is a big difference between cleaning a carb and thinking you have cleaned a carb.
Although rarely fitted to a generator there might be a cut off solenoid fitted to your carb, usually only found on engines with a battery starting system.

Cwv1971

Forum Newbie
Threads
This one has a solenoid on the bowl. And has a battery for starting. Although the battery is junk

Cwv1971

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't claim to be a small engine mechanic. But I have cleaned and replaced a few of these carbs. Bad solenoid? Although we put power to the engine and dad said the solenoid was working

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replace the solenoid with a bolt and try again.
The threads on the bowls held in with a bolt ( even if it doubles as the main jet) are the same as the threads on the solenoid.