Kohler oil filter

nodlenor

Threads
Was looking online at some oil filters for Kohler engines. I found two that fit mine and the only difference besides height is microns. Not sure what micron means. Can someone set me straight on this? Will either filter work ok?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Microns is the size of the holes in the element
So the smaller the number the more debris it will pull out of the oil and the greater the pressure required to push the oil through.
The micron size for a replacement filter needs to be the same as the original one +/- 15%

Using a filter that is too fine can cause a pressure build up inside the filter high enough to activate the bypass valve so the oil bypasses the filter.

And of course the opposite happens with a bigger micron size, stuff that is bigger ends up remaining in the oil

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Micron is the dirt particle size that can pass through. the smaller the number the less that can pass through.

nodlenor

Threads
Microns is the size of the holes in the element
So the smaller the number the more debris it will pull out of the oil and the greater the pressure required to push the oil through.
The micron size for a replacement filter needs to be the same as the original one +/- 15%

Using a filter that is too fine can cause a pressure build up inside the filter high enough to activate the bypass valve so the oil bypasses the filter.

And of course the opposite happens with a bigger micron size, stuff that is bigger ends up remaining in the oil

Thanks, I thought that’s what it meant but wasn’t sure. The recommended filter has 27 microns and the cheaper version is 32. Would it be safe to interchange them?

nodlenor

Threads
Micron is the dirt particle size that can pass through. the smaller the number the less that can pass through.

Wondering if the 27 micron filter can be replaced with a 32 with no problems?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In an engine yes no real problem.
In a hydro no micron size is king.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
QUOTE: Siri says 30 microns = 0.0012 inches.
QUOTE: Siri says 10 microns = 0.00039 inches.
30 Micron = common for engine oil filter.

10 Microns = common for hydraulics filter.

As mentioned you be good to go with any micron between 25 - 35. I recommend Wix or the best filter NAPA has because they are handy for me. Can't tolerate the on line shopping.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is any solace
The filters we used in the lab cost $ 10 for a pack of 20 sheets of paper.
They were guaranteed to be +/- 10 %
To go up to the next grade of paper the packs were in the order of $ 100 for the same 20 filters.
And by filters we are talking about a 6" circle.

A paper oil filter has around 5' of paper in it.

nodlenor

Threads
Was looking online at some oil filters for Kohler engines. I found two that fit mine and the only difference besides height is microns. Not sure what micron means. Can someone set me straight on this? Will either filter work ok?

I changed the oil & filter today. The new filter I bought was a 27 micron but the original one was a 32 micron so
I guess I can use the one I choose. Thanks for all the lnfo, l appreciate it.