Best Riding Mower for 2k or under?

Scfurse77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don’t have a huge yard (about 1/2 acre) and it’s fairly flat. I’m looking for opinions on the best riding mower under $2,000. I will be getting a bagger and not mulching.

Thanks

Steve

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pick whatever colour that turns you on and save up for another one in 5 years if $ 2000 is the limit of your available finances.
Top line SP walk behinds cost near that much.
Not trying to be insulting but have a think about it.
he cost of moving the mower from the factory to the store will be close to $ 200 ( if not more )
The dealer needs to make around 1/3 to 1/4 the purchase price as profit
so that makes the mower around $1200 at the factory gate.
The factory needs to be making a profit close to 50% to cover the cost of tooling, model developement , warranty , interest on the loans because they have paid wages all year before you will buy the mower.
So the cost of a $ 2000 mower can be not much more than $ 500.
What sort of engine & transmission do you think you will get for $ 500 ?

Now $ 2000 might seem like a lot of money to you but in reality it is about 2 to 4 weeks wages.

Some of the ride ons I am still using that date from the 60's & 70's cos better than 6 months wages which is why they are still working and over their working life will end up costing less than a cup of coffee a week.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd look for a Briggs engine with an iron sleeved cylinder, a manual (non-hydro) transmission. About anything else would be common on all machines in that price range. Routine maintenance and care would make the mower last a while and repairs for the DIYer won't break the bank.

Scfurse77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd look for a Briggs engine with an iron sleeved cylinder, a manual (non-hydro) transmission. About anything else would be common on all machines in that price range. Routine maintenance and care would make the mower last a while and repairs for the DIYer won't break the bank.

Thanks for the reply, Any idea of what brands/models I should be looking at that have these features? I don't mind spending maybe another $500 or so. But that would be my max budget.

gotomow

Threads
Thanks for the reply, Any idea of what brands/models I should be looking at that have these features? I don't mind spending maybe another $500 or so. But that would be my max budget.

Then take a look at the John Deere S240

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
For that price range and a bagger you may be looking at a late model per-owned Snapper rear engine rider. I had one at one time and it just didn't fit my rough terrain mowing needs, but with the hi-lift wings on the blade that's one of the best bagging mowers available, that is if you follow directions an install the bag the way the manual recommends.:laughing:

gotomow

Threads
For that price range and a bagger you may be looking at a late model per-owned Snapper rear engine rider. I had one at one time and it just didn't fit my rough terrain mowing needs, but with the hi-lift wings on the blade that's one of the best bagging mowers available, that is if you follow directions an install the bag the way the manual recommends.:laughing:

Not a bad idea. They run about 2K and are very cool. If you have a Snapper dealer around go check em out.

Scfurse77

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thank you for the tip.... Are these the ones you are talking about? https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/pr...rs/classic-rear-engine-riding-lawn-mower.html

Scfurse77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Then take a look at the John Deere S240

This would probably be my first choice after researching as much I have. But the more I research the more confused I get. :) The problem with the S240 is that with a bagger and tax i'd be about $3200. :thumbdown: