Engine Dies

pitless

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper Mower with a Kohler CV493S engine. It will run for a while and die. It seems to be electrical as the blade stops first and then the engine dies. It maybe at the same time but it seems like the blade stops first. It will not restart (crank or click) for a little while. It will then crank and start right up. I checked the carburetor and after it was reassembled it took a very short time to refill the bowl and start.

There is a circuit breaker zip tied to the frame which is the safety and it seems warm. I am assuming it is tripping causing the engine to stop.

The only thing that draws power is the electric clutch so if I run the mower without the blades running the engine still stops.

The only thing I can think of is the charging circuit may have a diode bad and is drawing current instead of charging the battery.

It just started this. I found the manual and it said to check if the engine is charging to do it with a fully charge battery. I will charge the battery to make sure it is up and check voltages.

I am asking if I am on the right track to check the charging circuit or if the is something else I missed I should be checking.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Checking the charging system would be a start, make sure your are getting 13.5-14 volts at the battery with the engine running at full speed. Also is that a actual circuit breaker with two prongs, or it is a square box with 5 prongs which would be a relay. which could be having thermal breakdown and cutting out.