Craftsman R1000 lawn tractor won't start consistently

Doc21

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman R1000 lawn tractor won't start consistently
Bought a new Craftsman R1000 lawn tractor in April of 2018. Mowed about 8 times with it last year with no problems. This spring, mowed twice with it, no problem. Tried to start it last week, and it wouldn't start. Ran battery down trying to start. Recharged battery --- it started. Mowed with it, then later that day, it wouldn't start. This went on for days.....would start, then it wouldn't. Didn't matter if engine was cold or hot. Cleaned air filer, replaced spark plug, cleaned carburetor with carb cleaner, made sure solenoid was working, changed out gas to non-ethanol, checked oil level, checked fuel filter, used starter fluid. At current time, mower won't start at all. Battery is good....motor turns over, but won't start. I understand the mower is under a 2 year warranty, but cannot get anyone from Sears to verify exactly what is covered. If anyone has any ideas about what could possibly keep this mower from starting, I would appreciate hearing from you.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would check to make sure you have spark when it doesn't start. Could also try putting some fuel into the engine intake and cranking to see if it starts and runs or dies shortly.

Most shops would confirm what is covered under warranty over the phone without knowing what is wrong. Just too many things that could or not be covered. Also if your model number starts with 247, any MTD dealer should be able to cover any warranty issues.

Doc21

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would check to make sure you have spark when it doesn't start. Could also try putting some fuel into the engine intake and cranking to see if it starts and runs or dies shortly.

Most shops would confirm what is covered under warranty over the phone without knowing what is wrong. Just too many things that could or not be covered. Also if your model number starts with 247, any MTD dealer should be able to cover any warranty issues.

I had posted this for my husband and will pass this info on to him. Thank you so much for responding.