Good fix for wheels?

Threads
I'm assuming the felt-type spacers for these wheels are nothing available anymore?
Would a copper sleeve suffice vs bronze? I ask because I have various small pcs laying about that could be used as such.
I have one 19-in with these style wheels and they are in fact, wobbly and it bugs me. I had planned on looking into a cause and fix for the issue.

I would just go with the bronze at ~$2.50 a corner instead of copper.
And yes my updated set-up still uses the factory felt washers in place.
Rocky

j-jock

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm assuming the felt-type spacers for these wheels are nothing available anymore?
Would a copper sleeve suffice vs bronze? I ask because I have various small pcs laying about that could be used as such.
I have one 19-in with these style wheels and they are in fact, wobbly and it bugs me. I had planned on looking into a cause and fix for the issue.

I have used copper tubing to re-bush many worn out lawnmower wheels. It works great. I just get tube to match the OD of the mounting bolt, cut to length, and drill out the wheel so that the bushing is a light press fit.
I had one mower where I literally wore out the tread and the bushing was still tight. I do start the year by pulling the wheels apart, clean, then grease them.
Bob

Threads
The problem folks get into when boring out the plastic hub center is with be concentric with the wheel/tire assembly. I've seen bushed wheels with horrible wobble, some in both directions (X & Y). Even drill press boring can get "off" and causes issues. Minor off-centering at the bolt hole translates into major/visual wobble at the tire. If available, a three-jaw chuck on a small lathe is still the best bet as shown in previous post pictures.
Good luck,
Rocky

Lawn Addict
Threads
True, but not like you are push mowing at 40 mph..