ANGLE OF MOWER WHEN MULCHING

LMAN007

Threads
When MULCHING grass and you do not want to have all 4 wheels at the same height, is it better to have the front of the mower HIGHER then the BACK or vice-versa?
I am looking for NO grass clippings or clumps exiting from the rear of my rear discharge mower. I have been told to "Heel" the mower where the rear 2 wheels are lower than the front 2 wheels
and I also have been told to do just the opposite. It has something to do with the air flow and vacuum under the mower. I own a Honda HRX series with the twin blades.
Does anyone have a answer to this question?:confused2:

MowLife

Threads
For the best cut and performance the blades should be level with the ground.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
heeling the deck tends to make smaller clippings because the grass gets cut dozens of times at the sides & twice at the front & back.
Taken too far and you end up with a dish shape between each side.

LMAN007

Threads
For the best cut and performance the blades should be level with the ground.

I understand about the level of the blades, but with the wheels level I still get some mulch trailing the mower, so which one is better for the least amount of mulch trailing the mower, front up or down compared to the rear?:confused2:

LMAN007

Threads
heeling the deck tends to make smaller clippings because the grass gets cut dozens of times at the sides & twice at the front & back.
Taken too far and you end up with a dish shape between each side.

Dozens of times at the sides and twice at the front and back??????????? Please explain. And what do you mean by "taken too far will cause a dish shape between each side"??? Does that mean 2 or more notch difference between front and back?
I do appreciate your response, but could you please explain your answers more thoroughly. :confused2:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cut out a circle 21" diameter
Place it on your grass, dead level
So the blade will cut at exactly the same height all the way round
Now hold it front down and push it slowly through the grass
That is where the blade will cut the grass, the first cut will be the last because next time the blade passes it will be passing over where the blade of grass was.
Now hold in back down and push it through the grass.
Note as it moves forward it will cut then recut then recut then recut remembering the blade is doing around 32,000 revolutions and there are 2 cutting edges so 64,000 times a minute a cutting edge passes over the circle you have in your hands.

MowLife

Threads
So to answer your question....heeling will mulch the grass to a finer grade. It is harder on the turf where you won’t get a good cut. You will be shredding the grass blades which causes brown tips and encourages diseases. If your mowing a yard where you don’t have quality grass you can probably get away with it. Sharp blades and cutting no more than a third of the grass height and when it’s dry should leave no clippings with deck set level.

LMAN007

Threads
Cut out a circle 21" diameter
Place it on your grass, dead level
So the blade will cut at exactly the same height all the way round
Now hold it front down and push it slowly through the grass
That is where the blade will cut the grass, the first cut will be the last because next time the blade passes it will be passing over where the blade of grass was.
Now hold in back down and push it through the grass.
Note as it moves forward it will cut then recut then recut then recut remembering the blade is doing around 32,000 revolutions and there are 2 cutting edges so 64,000 times a minute a cutting edge passes over the circle you have in your hands.

WOW! Sounds like my barber!:thumbsup:

LMAN007

Threads
Is Zoysia grass considered quality grass? It's thick, bounce and has no weeds or crabgrass.:smile: