Uneven mowing- not the easy fixes!

Crunchy409

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! Advice requested and very much appreciated!

I'm using a Craftsman mower from the 2000's.
Symptom: I am noticing a stripe when I mow- it appears as though my left blade is cutting lower than my right blade. This is "stepped" and not gradual, so it is not a simple issue of leveling out the deck.

Observations/troubleshooting:
-when lining up the ends of the blades in the center, one does look noticeably lower (1/4"+); however, when I rotate the blade 180 degrees it lines up.
-on the side that cuts lower, I've noticed that the blade (brand new) does not fit onto the star shaped mandrill shaft flush like on the other side.
-I switched blades (left to right, right to left) and nothing changed.

Before I spend $100 on a new mandril shaft and housing I wanted to see what you all suggested.
Thanks so much! My OCD can't take it!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello! Advice requested and very much appreciated!

I'm using a Craftsman mower from the 2000's.
Symptom: I am noticing a stripe when I mow- it appears as though my left blade is cutting lower than my right blade. This is "stepped" and not gradual, so it is not a simple issue of leveling out the deck.

Observations/troubleshooting:
-when lining up the ends of the blades in the center, one does look noticeably lower (1/4"+); however, when I rotate the blade 180 degrees it lines up.
-on the side that cuts lower, I've noticed that the blade (brand new) does not fit onto the star shaped mandrill shaft flush like on the other side.
-I switched blades (left to right, right to left) and nothing changed.

Before I spend $100 on a new mandril shaft and housing I wanted to see what you all suggested.
Thanks so much! My OCD can't take it!
Before spending 100 bucks on anything get a blade that fits the shaft correctly.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is not unusual for the star to get smashed if they blade isn't seated on the shaft before tightening the bolt. So it could be a star issue, so that could be something to look at.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If one tip of the blade lines up with the other blade and when turned 180 degrees the other tip does not, I would think you either have a bent blade or the blade is not perpendicular to its spindle shaft (a blade mounting problem).