Converting a pull start Briggs & Stratton to 12v electric start

chief36chevy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Converting a pull start Briggs & Stratton to 12v electric start
I have a 5600-watt Craftsman generator with a 10 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. Mod # 204412, Type 0147E1, and code 061006YD. I would like to convert it to electric start.
I am confused as to what starter will it. I am finding all sorts of info online. Some things that are troubling are the number of teeth on starter. The number of teeth on the ring gear, and weather it is made of steel or aluminum. Has anyone done this conversion, and do you have any part numbers?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On your engine the starter part number is 695479 and runs about $150.00. Before purchasing any parts check to see if your engines flywheel has a ring gear on it. If you have no ring gear, you are going to be out of luck, as the flywheel is may no longer be available. Part number is 794814 and will cost about another $150.00 if you find one. You will also need a starting solenoid, a battery about $50.00, some sort of switch and wires. I have converted a couple of engines, but after all is said and done, cost is around $600.00. Even if you do it yourself and don’t need a flywheel, parts will be $250.00 and 1-4 hours of your labor.

chief36chevy

Forum Newbie
Threads
My research I have found that the 794814 does not come with a ring gear. I can deal with that if I can find a ring gear. Do you have any info on the proper ring gear? For example diameter, number of teeth, what is it made of?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To my knowledge there is no add on ring gear. Your best bet is to contact Briggs. Contact info is on their website.