Stihl MM55C Cultivator *Mantis Like"

gilephor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

This is my first post here after finding this forum when looking into issues with the Stihl cultivator we have. I will do my best to detail the issue I am a newbie at doing this stuff and am doing my best to figure thing out.

This unit was left out in the elements for some seasons after the previous owner passed. I have since been trying to getting it working again.

I have done the following:

1. Replaced Plug (Gaped to 0.20 also checked for spark which it has)
2. Replaced Carb
3. Replaced Fuel Filter
4. Replaced Air Filter
5. Cleaned exhaust area

It still will not run or even attempt to fire I have not checked spark arrestor or anything else. I am just looking for input on what else I can do to try and get this thing running, is their something I am overlooking?

MowLife

Threads
Compression is about all I see that’s not checked. It’s a good idea to pull the muffler...you can see if it’s plugged up. Is this a 2 or 4 stroke motor?

deminin

Threads
It still will not run or even attempt to fire I have not checked spark arrestor or anything else. I am just looking for input on what else I can do to try and get this thing running, is their something I am overlooking?

I've got one of these....bought it perhaps 10 years ago, and it works great. Pulling the muffler is a good thing to try, since if this thing has been setting out in the weather, the muffler may be rusted and clogged. If it has good compression, pulling the starter rope should require a "hefty" pull. Check to see if the cylinder is getting fuel....pump the primer bulb several times...making sure that you see fuel entering the bulb, give the engine several pulls at full choke, then pull the plug to see if it is "wet"....if not, carb or fuel lines, etc., is an issue. If the plug is "wet", you probably have an ignition problem....coil, flywheel,etc. If this unit has been sitting out for quite some time, the coil and/or flywheel may have some rust/corrosion built up. If you have a spark tester, that should tell you if the engine is getting any spark. If the coil area seems clean, check that the coil gap is set to between .005" to .007".

gilephor

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is a 2 cycle, and thanks for the suggestions so far. I will check the other areas mentioned as well.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take off the air filter cover and filter, and pour a dribble of fresh fuel directly into the carb throat, and try to start.

Pull it a bunch, holding the throttle open/trigger depressed, and see if you can get the engine to hit/turn over.

Try this, and get back to us...

MowLife

Threads
When you have the muffler off peak into the exhaust port and look at the piston and cylinder for wear like scratches or grooves.

gilephor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take off the air filter cover and filter, and pour a dribble of fresh fuel directly into the carb throat, and try to start.

Pull it a bunch, holding the throttle open/trigger depressed, and see if you can get the engine to hit/turn over.

Try this, and get back to us...

Did this and no luck the piston looked good to me, no visible issues to my eye. Took the muffler off, inside it was a gas water mix i think not sure why that would have been there. After drying it out and cleaning the spark arrestor with a torch still nothing. Although after taking the exhaust off and putting it back on when i first tried to start it it would let out a whine. It is not doing it now after it set a while but was.

I even went so far with the fuel to buy the Stihl 93 octane premixed stuff and it does not seem to have helped. Any other place to look. When i am trying to start though it seems to be spitting fuel out through the air filter and smoking a little.

MowLife

Threads
Did we overlook seeing if the spark plug is actually firing. I Read through the thread again and don’t see where this was confirmed.

gilephor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, i do not have a tester but there is spark to the boot as confirmed by a shock to the finger ;) When putting my finger on the bottom of the boot and having my son pull the cord it shocked me ;)

MowLife

Threads
Lol....you supposed to have your son hold the wire. A good way to check without tools is to remove the plug and insert it in the boot and hold the plug against the engine block and spin the engine. It won’t shock you as long as the plug is grounded. Look at the gap for the spark. Should be blue..ish in color.