Troy Bilt TB 30 R

Chuck Kindred

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Guys

Newbe 1st post.

I have a TB 30 R riding mower. This has been a great little mower until now.
I have this mower serviced every year . they change oil & filter fuel filter, air cleaner and do a complete inspection.
I have used this mower 6-7 times this year with no issues. I always use fresh fuel and fill up after each use .
Here is the problem. This mower will always start on 1st try and then run like a top for about 30 minutes . I always bag all my trimmings. It then just dies and will not start for about 30-40 minutes. It then runs great then stops again after 30 minutes and so on. I have racked my brain and can not find a cause and effect . Does anyone out there have a solution ?
All help is appreciated.

Chuck

MowLife

Threads
You need to troubleshoot it right when it happens and don’t start. First make sure you have spark....a hot coil or plug may not be working. If you have spark then check fuel system...make sure the gas tank is venting. Spray some starting fluid and see if it fires up. You just have to start eliminating possibilities till you can narrow the problem down.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it happens, remove fuel cap, wait a minute, install cap and try to start. If it restarts problem is bad fuel cap. No restart check for spark. No spark, coil is probably bad, hot short or hot open.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bagging creates a lot more dust than plain throwing or mulching.
This dust will get into the fuel tank as will lots of grass clippings.
These sort of float inside the tank but just like hair on the shower floor, eventually they all come together in the drain & clog it.

The instant the mower stops, toss A SMALL AMOUNT of fuel down the carb throat & crank the engine , you might need to give it a good cranking if you tossed too much fuel in.
If it fires up and burns off the fuel you put in, you have a fuel supply problem.
If it dosn't , try again but put the fuel down the plug hole.
If it fires right up then you have a valve problem most likely due to overheating.

Bagging also tends to deposit a lot more dust on the engine cooling fins so it iis very important that people who bag all the time do the annual fin clean.

Chuck Kindred

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all who replied.
Problem was the ignition coil.
It is now repaired and I am back in the saddle

Chuck
Bandera, Tx.