Which setup gives the better cut , with NO clippings seen from rear discharge.

LMAN007

Threads
  • / Which setup gives the better cut , with NO clippings seen from rear discharge.
I would like to take a poll on which set-up does a better job on cutting grass. I am talking about a Honda HRX217vka with the GCV200 engine and the Versamow 4 in 1 system set to full MULCH. Of course it has the Micro Cut twin blade system.
I would like to see a good cut with little or no grass clippings trailing out of the rear discharge.
(1) Front wheels set 1 notch higher then the Back wheels. Front wheels set at notch 4 which is a 2 and 1/2 inch cut, while the back wheels are set at notch 3 which is a 2 inch cut. I believe this is called heeling the mower. The back is lower than the front.
(2) Front wheels set 1 notch LOWER then the BACK wheels. Front wheels set at notch 3 which is a 2 inch cut, while the back wheels are set at notch 4 which is a 2 and 1/2 inch cut. Just the reverse, the back is higher than the front.
Neither set up seems to be wrong according to google reviews that I have read. With the rear being lower the grass is being cut twice resulting in more power used and a less (even cut) ?? then when the rear is higher then the front.
I have tried option 1 and have found that the cut looks good with NO grass clippings trailing the mower. I have yet to try option 2.

P.S. Having all 4 wheels set at the same height (notch 4 @2 and 1/2 inches) tends to leave some grass clipping behind each rear wheel, and again, a good cut. My yard is fairly flat with a small slope at one end and the grass is thick (80%) in this area (zoysia grass) with (20%) in the remaining area being (Bermuda grass), which is not as thick as the Zoysia.

All opinions will be appreciated.:confused2:

LMAN007

Threads
  • / Which setup gives the better cut , with NO clippings seen from rear discharge.
I guess no one has a answer to this question.:tongue:

bumpy lawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you'll find that every lawn is a little different and what gives the absolute best cut lies with the results you get with your equipment. For s&g's I tried "heeling" the cut with this mow yesterday and was fairly impressed- I mean it did give good results. Whether or not it was better than level is very subjective. I'm going to venture a guess that "toe-ing" the cut may not be as good due to the rear discharge. I've been wrong once or twice in my life though.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having positive rake (deck front lower than the rear) allows the blade to cut each blade of grass once. If the clippings get chopped again, it is from bouncing around under the mower deck and getting hit by the mower blade again. There is no guarantee that full-length clippings won't get discharged.

Negative rake (front higher than rear) causes the blade of grass itself to be cut many times, each successively lower, as the mower advances over the grass. Smaller clippings, but harder on the grass itself.

With a push mower, I think there is a little bit of positive rake built into it with the front and rear wheels on the same setting.

edit: Just saw your duplicate post. bertsmobile's explained it completely.

Last edited: