Ride-on Mower is "jerky"

Kimberly5

Threads
Hello everyone. We have a ~10-year-old Ariens Hydro 42". As the title of this post indicates, the mower lurches forward when going from neutral to drive. I have not noticed that the slope of the landscape makes any difference. This problem is very annoying as the primary user of the mower is 91 years old and it really bothers him. Could any of you offer your suggestions? Thank you.

MowLife

Threads
Maybe check drive belt and it’s pullys for wear.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How about giving us the model and serial numbers so we can see your entire drive system

Kimberly5

Threads
How about giving us the model and serial numbers so we can see your entire drive system

Hello sir. The model is: 936038 42" Hydro Tractor. Where might I find the serial numbers? Thank you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this unit came into the shop with this complaint, this is what I would do. Remove the deck, get underneath and check the drive belt and all three tensioner pulleys. Most often the cause on this type of drive, will be a worn or cracked belt or bad pulleys.

Kimberly5

Threads
Hello again. I have been unable to fix this problem. I fear I was unclear in my previous description.

The easiest way to understand the problem is to watch the following video of a young man attempting to use the mower. Just follow the imgur link below. In case you are unable to watch a video, I will attempt to describe the problem in words:

1) "Neutral" throttle setting puts the mower in reverse after a pause and a jolt.

2) Mid-throttle position lurches forward, pauses, and then lurches forwards again, then pauses....

3) Full throttle runs smoothly after a hard jolt

4) "Reverse" throttle setting runs smoothly in reverse after a hard jolt.

Two posters above suggested that I inspect the drive belt and pulleys for wear. The belt appears to be fairly new, and the owner tells me he changed it within the past couple years. The pulleys look ok to me. I have taken photos:

IMG_0896.JPGIMG_0895.JPGIMG_0894.JPGIMG_0893.JPGIMG_0892.JPG

Kimberly5

Threads
If this unit came into the shop with this complaint, this is what I would do. Remove the deck, get underneath and check the drive belt and all three tensioner pulleys. Most often the cause on this type of drive, will be a worn or cracked belt or bad pulleys.

Hello sir. Thank you for your reply. If you have time, please consider my updated post above.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1) Never run the hydro at anything under FULL THROTTLE, it is very bad for the hydro.
2) The "Jolt" is die to the fact that the brake & clutch are on the same pedal.
Removing the brake & cleaning it might help then you can adjust the rod that pulls the brake on to get a smoother take off.
3) the tensioning spring on the tranny pulley is probably weak so when the harsh jerk happens the belt goes loose a bit so it then slips a bit.
4) the pivot point on the tensioning arm floggs out oval over time cause they never get lubed by home owners who do their own maintenance.

The tranny might be a little low in oil or need to have it replaced.
Down side is you usually have to pull it out in order to check it.