FH601V issues (surging/blowing black smoke)

kingcheez

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a FH601V Kawi on a JD GT235mower. After a cold start it runs and mows fine for about 10 minutes then it starts surging and blowing black smoke. Air filter is new, choke is opening/closing but engine is still getting too much gas. At times it will even spill out of the overflow. I've done a basic carb cleaning on it but still same issue. Do I need a new carb? They run $350+ so if I'd like to know if I have any other options or if anyone knows of where I could find a better price on a carb. The carb on it now is a Nikki mod #150037041.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

MowLife

Threads
It’s usually just the needle and seat not stopping fuel in the carb. A new needle or a kit is much cheaper then purchasing a new carb. I would try this first.

kingcheez

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wouldnt that be a constant problem though not intermittent? The carb issue shows up after running for a while. I would think a needle and seat issue would cause fuel to flow constantly to the crank case and cause it to fill up with fuel. I could be wrong though.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Crank the engine with the float bowl removed from the carb.
Work the float with your fingers and check that the fuel shuts off well before the float tops out on the carb body.
Remove the plugs to relieve the load on the starter and ground them well out of the way lest you end up with singed eyebrows.
And of course do it outside and near a hose just in case the unthinkable happens.

MowLife

Threads
Wouldnt that be a constant problem though not intermittent? The carb issue shows up after running for a while. I would think a needle and seat issue would cause fuel to flow constantly to the crank case and cause it to fill up with fuel. I could be wrong though.

It may not be regulating correctly. When it’s cold it uses more fuel till it warms up so it’s something to look at. Last kit I bought for a Kawasaki was 25 dollars....it’s well worth it and comes with all the seals you need.