Fuel filter mounted position on Gravely ZT HD KAW 60

OliveDrab

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a ZT HD 60"with Kawasaki engine.

I am concerned about where the fuel filter is mounted on my mower. It is mounted between the seat frame and the engine heat fins. In time I believe, friction and vibration could cause the plastic filter to develop a leak.
I called attention to it to the person at the store whom was giving me the tour of the machines operating details. He didn't seem very concerned about it.
The filter is actually pushed down and squeezed in it's position when the seat is let down and causing it to make contact with the engine heat fins. I brought the mower home yesterday and mowed about 45 minutes. Today I raised the seat and I lifted the plastic filter up from it's position and it already has a dent in the plastic. I don't know if this is standard mounting position on other models, but it is that way on my machine. I would hate to be sitting in the seat and be mowing when it developed a leak. A serious condition might well happen. There is no slack in the rubber tubing to move the filter out of this position to another secure place.
I'm not going to load the machine back on my trailer and take it back. What for?, the man wasn't concerned about it anyway.
I'm the one operating the machine and I'll make it safer for me.

I'm just curious if anyone here has had your fuel filter mounted like mine is.

Attachments

• fuel filter A.jpg
    fuel filter A.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 18
  • fuel filter 3.jpg
    fuel filter 3.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 18
  • fuel filter 2.jpg
    fuel filter 2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are absolutely correct, you need to move filter to a safe place such as engine lifting eye with a zip tie or two just above where it is now.

Their quality control dept. needs to be aware of your issue, send them an email with pictures.

Last edited:

OliveDrab

Forum Newbie
Threads
It pisses me off people sell stuff put together like that. I'll have to get some more gas line.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes very disappointing and quite dangerous.
Send the photos to the mower maker with a title like fire warranty risk.
In the mean time tie the filter out of the way.
One of the most common safety recall notices that I see are for repositioning the fuel line &/or filter.
Workers giving a hoot about what they do was abolished the instant that accountants instituted KPI's and insisted that assembly line staff continue to increase theirs or get shafted.

OliveDrab

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't move it until I get some new gas line. There isn't any slack in the existing hose to allow me to move the filter.

I sent the Gravely company the details with photos.