Correct Installation of Belt Guard Around Electric Clutch on CC 1042LT?

walczyk

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Correct Installation of Belt Guard Around Electric Clutch on CC 1042LT?
Hi Everyone,

First time posting, and pretty inexperienced with lawn mowers to be honest. I attempted changing the blades on my parents Cub Cadet, and it worked briefly before blowing a fuse. Every time I replaced the fuse it would blow 1-3 seconds after I pulled the PTO switch. I was worried I overtightened the blades, or that I overworked the clutch last week when a piece of wood lodged on a blade and it completely locked it up.

However, I just took the belt guard off around the clutch, in order to take off the belt and test if the PTO would pop a fuse again, but now the PTO switch didn't do anything, but I think the outer ring which had a magnet attached moved 180 degrees. It seemed like the guard was necessary for the clutch to run, and there are a couple notches around two magnets where the belt guard would fit into, is that necessary for it to run, is the belt guard supposed to lock the magnet in place?

If I want to keep diagnosing, should I remove the belt, and reinstall the belt guard? What does the guard have to do with the clutch? Note: There's only 'one' 20A fuse for the whole lawn mower. Please let me know if I am missing any information.