Repairs Craftsman self-propelled w/ B&S Platinum 190cc engine - won't re-start

cbenslay

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman self-propelled w/ B&S Platinum 190cc engine - won't re-start
Good afternoon everyone!

I have a 5 or 6 year old Craftsman self-propelled mower with a 190cc Briggs & Stratton Platinum series engine. The mower has been very reliable until this incident.

I put it up last year by putting Sta-Bil in the tank and letting it run for 5 minutes or so. I removed the spark plug and sprayed the Sta-Bil fogger in it. That was in October.

On May 15th or so I changed to oil in the mower and cleaned the air filter real well. The mower started on the 2nd or 3rd pull. I cut 95% of my yard with no problem. I was mowing along the back fence when one of the front wheels bumped a fence slat that was sticking out a little bit. The mower stalled and died and has not re-started since. It has stalled before, but never died.

This is what I have already done to try and fix it:
- It has fuel in it! LOL Just to be sure, I bought some mid-grade fuel and topped off the tank.
- I checked the safety switch that is activated when you pull the handle back. Looks good, plus I ran a jumper over the connections to eliminate it.
- I removed the spark plug and there is a spark when pulling the cord. I bought a new spark plug, gapped it to .30 and installed it anyway.
- There is a light coating of gasoline on the plug when I remove it.
- I did not hit anything with the blade. It turns and so does the bolt holding it on as well as the thing at the top of the motor.
- The engine will pop kinda like a backfire occasionally when trying to start it.
- I sprayed carb cleaner in the air intake and let it sit for awhile. No difference other than a few more pops.
- I tried choking the air-intake while trying to start it as well.

I don't know what else to try. It has air, fuel and a spark. The safety switch seems OK, plus I jumped past it.

The motor does not have a choke or priming bulb like some mowers do. It does have an electric start button, but that hasn't worked in 2 or 3 years! It always started on the 1st or 2nd pull anyway.

Like I said, it was running fine until it stalled out and died. Now, it's still dead!

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions. The neighbor kid is getting expensive!

Chuck

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you saying it pops like a backfire when trying to start, you may have sheared the flywheel key.
it holds the flywheel in alignment with the crankshaft to provide spark at the correct time.. if the key gets sheared it will not start. I dont think a bump would do it, but its possible.

cbenslay

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, I'll check on that. I think that's about all that is left!

Thanks!