ZTrak 970A PTO switch

Valley Spent Fuel PM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
I have a 2011/12 Z970A that I purchased new. About 2 seasons in, the PTO switch became glitchy, as in, I would pull up on the switch and nothing would happen, then as I started to push down into the off position the PTO would begin to start, a few rounds of this and I figured out that if I wiggled it in the “on “ position then I could manage to get it to work. Later in the season I found that it worked well if I switched the PTO “on” and finished the mowing before I turned it off. At the start of the next season I mentioned this when I was picking up my yearly maintenance supplies. The parts guy said yes we know there’s a problem you need a new switch. Okay problem solved. I swapped it out under warranty, and bam, no more issues, for three weeks that is, then here we go again. I limped through that season and the next year I added a new switch to my yearly maintenance supplies (out of Warranty). The parts guy said “they” (John Deere I supposed) have solved this problem there are installing a new type switch. I thought great, he said yeah we don’t have any, but we’ll order you one. I kept a check all season, no switch. Next season parts guy goes be glad you didn’t get the new switch they are worse than the original. He handed me a new old stock switch and said these are “okay” so long as your don’t get them wet. So I haven’t I’m very careful not to get any water on the switch panel. This brings us to this season so here I am 7 seasons 600 hours into this tremendous mower and a $30 dollar switch is still causing me grief! Any help on this will be very much appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
See if there is an aftermarket switch for your mower.
I keep 8 switches from Rotary that cover every mower so far.
The switches are simple sliding contact switches and prone to dust & insects fouling the contacts.
If you have an old one, pull it apart.
They are not as complicated as some would expect.
A flush with WD40 while vigerously moving in & out to clean out the debris & corrosion products, followed by a generous spray with a lanolin spray contact grease should see the switch last many seasons.
The latter will be found at electricians supply shops
If you are going to one then get a can of contact cleaner and a can of grease.
Neither are cheap so you can do the maths as to weather maintenance or replacement is the least cost method.