Engine HRR2169VLA - Electric starter issues

lexefx

Forum Newbie
Threads
1st post!

I am a long time LB guy and just picked up this used Honda for my F-I-L. The electric start only engages every 10 times you try to use it. You can hear the starter motor spinning every time. It's almost like there is a solenoid driving a pinion gear that doesn't always engage. I have yet to take it apart, but I noticed Honda sells the unit as a complete starter, with no serviceable parts. Please correct me if that's not the case.

When it does catch it will start. If the mower is hot it chugs like a high compression motor and doesn't want to start. Am I having a battery issue as well?

Pull Start works great, and it runs like a champ after an oil change and some fresh gas.

MCCG-8864222 if that helps.

mikebarber

Threads
Both problems are probably from the same reason "starter not developing enough torque " the high torque of the starter is what drives the starter up the spiral ramp machining in the drive and the starter not turning well when hot with high compression is again from not having enough torque A few things you can try are putting a little lube on the spiral ramp up under the starter gear (if you unhook the battery then turn the gear with your hand while holding the starter shaft with your other hand you will see the action of the spiral) The same goes for a little lube on the bushings of the starter motor steel shaft The lube is your easiest route

#2 thing to check are "ALL" of the electrical connections a volt or 2 loss in a loose connection will cause these issues also Solenoid contacts internally could be tired you can check that by jumping around the solenoid (safety disclaimer here jumping solenoid will create sparks and SPARKS WILL CREATE FIRE OR EXPLOSIONS)

#3 Thing to check or eliminate is the battery itself (I can read and you stated that it would start the mower) A simple way to eliminate the battery not having ENOUGH capacity would be to use a good pair of jumper cables hooked to a good battery and the battery in your mower (another disclaimer here MAKE YOUR LAST CONNECTION AT THE FRAME NOT THE BATTERY A BATTERY WILL CREATE HYDROGEN GAS AND YOUR JUMPERS WILL MAKE SPARKS EQUALING EXPLOSION) If none of these things help then it is time to remove starter and have a look inside

lexefx

Forum Newbie
Threads
All connections and wires appear secure and intact. I have yet to do the jumper cables test. I have noticed it will start with the starter when cold, and very rarely will the solenoid engage when warm. The starter sounds like it free wheels 19 out of 20 key start attempts when warm. When cold the starter engaged almost every time. Do I need to take the starter appart? What's next to look at?

lexefx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all your help. Sorry for the delayed response.