Lawn Boy 1014 Edger

Threads
I just picked this up with intentions of using for my lawn care business. After looking it over and actually hearing it run, I would like see if there is any interest in it. I would rather pick up another edger that I use daily vs running this classic into the ground. It is in excellent condition, not sure what it might be worth.

IMG_2642.JPGIMG_2643.JPGIMG_2644.JPGIMG_2645.JPGIMG_2646.JPGIMG_2647.JPGIMG_2648.JPGIMG_2649.JPGIMG_2650.JPGIMG_2651.JPG

Lawnboy77

Threads
Wow! That is in great shape! I have it’s older brother, the 1013. I restored mine, but yours is in too good of shape to do anything to. That one has the extra long curb wheel adjust lever, the 1013 stock one is too short for my curbs. Glad you won’t be using for commercial duty, it’s not really commercial duty machinery like the mowers can be. The blade guard tends to break off, and so many parts are no longer available. That one of yours still has all the small blue and tan accessories, amazing! That blue plastic pull handle is super hard to find and your’s looks perfect! Even has the original tan flywheel nut cover.

Threads
I would like to sell as I am not a collector nor do I restore but like to see this in the right hands. What would you appraise this as? Obviously based on the pictures?

Lawnboy77

Threads
250 to 300 range would be my estimation. If it were me, I’d list on eBay starting at 250. Ebay will bring in all collectors, local sales are a waste of time in my opinion.

Russ2251

Threads
With 16:1 oil to gas.... doubles as a mosquito fogger.

Threads
The smoke isn't bad at all. Here is a video of it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72UukJFMf8

Nice video! This is why I don't want to use this as part of my lawn care business, it's to good to that to it. I would like to get this to the point where it starts and runs each time. When I brought it home, not sure what gas was in it but it started on fifth or 6th pull. I ran it very briefly just to hear it run. A few days later I put a small amount of my redmax oil gas mix in it just to run it again. (I know, you are probably cringing at that one) I ran it for maybe 3-4 minutes, it sounded good, maybe edged about 5 feet just to try it. Now I haven't been able get it to fire. Do you have any suggestions on what I need to do? I haven't found a manual yet and I am not sure what spark plug belongs in it and the gap. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Lawnboy77

Threads
I suspect that the float coating has turned black and is coming off and clogging the carb. You can squirt some fresh fuel mix straight into the Venturi of the carb and if it will run by bypassing the carb then you can pretty much bet that the carb is dirty, no matter how well you clean the carb if you don’t get a good float installed the old float coating will continue to peel off and clog the carb. I tinkered with mine a bit before the restore and that’s what I learned. I would suspect the same with yours. FWIW internally that machine was the cleanest that I had ever seen, no wear at all, so I just cleaned and installed new gaskets and seals and reset the Hobbs meter on that engine. The carb, of course, is always a different story, new float and primer assy almost always along with new needle and seat.
It’s got an old school magneto with points and condenser, so you may need to go in and clean and inspect. The plug for that one is a CJ-14, gapped at .025. I’ll post a link to the manual when I get a chance, on the road now.
You may just put it up for sale as is and get decent money, but the collectors unlike me who prefer not to restore will probably not pay near as much. Heck, I never cared whether they would run since I was usually doing a 100% restore anyway.

Threads
Thank you for the information and the manuals! I plan on tinkering a bit to get this going. I let you know how I do with it.