Troy-Bilt TB230 won't start - PLEASE HELP

Tincup19

Threads
Hi,

I recently was given a Troy Bilt TB230 with a Briggs and Stratton 723ex motor that appears to be in very good condition, however, it won't start. I put fresh gas in, changed the oil, and put a new spark plug in it. After doing those things I tried again with no luck. I tried spraying some starting fluid and it started up for a couple seconds and then died. I wasn't familiar with these newer plastic carbs so I gave it a quick non-thorough cleaning and tried again but same result.

After doing a little more research online I found a detailed video on taking the carb apart and cleaning all the jets, disassembling the bowl and cleaning everything in there as well. I put everything back together and refilled the gas once again and almost immediately I noticed there was gas coming through and leaking out through the air filter box/housing. I drained virtually all the gas once again and took the air box off completely and gave it a couple pulls with whatever gas was probably still sitting in the carburetor and it actually started and ran fine. I let it run for a few minutes and then turned it off. Put the box back on and refilled the gas and sure enough the gas was leaking through just like before. Any ideas what I'm missing here? Did I reassemble something improperly? There was never gas coming through the air box prior to finding the more detailed version of cleaning the carb.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rusty516

Threads
Sounds like your carburetor is not shutting off the fuel once it is full. Try tapping lightly on the carburetor with a small hammer. If that doesnt cure the overflow of fuel, you have some trash in the shut off valve, or you have something installed wrong.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you reassembled the carb, did you check that the float needle was closing properly? You don’t tell us which engine you, but seeing you are posting this multiple times, I’m guessing it is a Briggs. If that is the case you need to replace both the float needle and seat, plus properly set the float level.

Tincup19

Threads
Yes it's a Briggs. What do you mean by setting the float level? I'm not super advanced with carbs. I've taken them apart and cleaned them on golf carts before but haven't messed with lawn mowers. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The float level controls the amount of fuel in the float bowl. Any time someone disassembles a carb the float level should be checked. I also recommend that the float needle and seat be replaced as long as it is apart. If the float doesn’t push the needle tight against the seat it will leak. Novices should also replace the float, as most do not have the expertise as how to adjust an old one. They can be adjusted, but most people end up breaking them.

JBtoro

Threads
I agree with others that a leak like you describe is a needle/seat problem. Trouble is that the only way I have found to get a needle & seat is to buy a kit. Kit costs about the same as an an aftermarket carb plus, with the kit, you then have to have the know-how to rebuild the carb. Some will advise against aftermarket but I have not encountered any issues with them. Worst case, you are out $12 (OEM is about $50) but many times the seller offers free returns. That tells me that the part almost always works fine and doesn't need to be returned. Search ebay & Amazon for 799583; I think that fits your mower but you should double check.