Demoed a 31 hp Kohlar EFI Cheetah today

Thegunpowder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Demoed a 31 hp Kohlar EFI Cheetah today.
Initial thoughts:

The 31 HP is way too under powered for this machine. Forget the high speed, the engine bogged down running the hydros full throttle and full speed in low speed with mower mowing but deck up (not cutting anything). Cutting even short grass was bogging down the engine.
the seat apparently sits too low. Had issues getting up off the seat compared to other brands
The ride is not very smooth. Maybe if they put a better seat on it but despite moving the lever from soft to stiffer, it wasn't as smooth ride as I had hoped.
Hustler SuperZ/Hyperdrive and JD Z900 series have smoother hydraulics.

I have it tomorrow too but so far not impressed.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What width of deck? 31 hp is a lot of power; seems like it should take a big mower to bog it down.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder how the engine speed is controlled. Sounds like a governor problem if not electronic. For sure something is not right.

Thegunpowder

Forum Newbie
Threads
What width of deck? 31 hp is a lot of power; seems like it should take a big mower to bog it down.

60" deck. My '08 LaserZ 60" with 31 Vanguard is no comparison reminded me of my old 27 KAW liquid cooled but it would do that only in taller grass. I uploaded a video. If you listen closely you can hear it drop in RPM's. In areas wife wasn't even taking a 60" swath.

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Video unavailable" but that's OK. 31 hp driving a 60" deck is all that one needs to know. It should drive that deck with ease, even in tall grass.

geelee

Threads
high range on the cheetah is a transport mode only, not for mowing. also not a fan of the mcdonalds kohler engine.

Thegunpowder

Forum Newbie
Threads
high range on the cheetah is a transport mode only, not for mowing. also not a fan of the mcdonalds kohler engine.

Although I have heard of people mowing in high speed, what I meant is in low speed the engine doesn't amply power the hydros. Especially if it is also powering the clutch (deck) even with the deck up not mowing grass.

Thegunpowder

Forum Newbie
Threads
"Video unavailable" but that's OK. 31 hp driving a 60" deck is all that one needs to know. It should drive that deck with ease, even in tall grass.

Video should be fixed