Bad Boy ZT Elite OR Hustler Raptor SD?

ICTGolfer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,

First time poster, so please be gentle...

After finally ditching my Ariens Zoom50 ZTR and mowing for the last month with my 20" Honda push mower, I'm ready to purchase another ZTR.

I've narrowed down my choices to two, based on dealer location and (hopefully) quality of machine. Ideally, this is the last mower I'll buy.

I'm looking at the Bad Boy 48" ZT Elite OR the Hustler 48" Raptor SD. The Bad Boy has the 22HP Kohler and the Hustler would come with a 21.5HP Kawasaki. The Bad Boy has what appears to be a higher grade of hydros (3100 vs 2800).

As I'm in south-central KS, the Hustler plant is 30 minutes away and dealers are plentiful. Bad Boy only has one dealer in town.

I will always mulch the fine-bladed fescue of my yard that is less than 1 acre.

The primary reason I got rid of my Ariens was that is was an absolutely filthy machine. I would get dirtier with debris than I would string-trimming. Not kidding. Every time I mowed, I had to shower. Since I'd rather be golfing than mowing, that was a huge inconvenience for me. Yeah, I know...first world problems....

The dealers in town won't let me mow with their ZTR's so I'm hoping I can get feedback from others that own either or both machines regarding excess debris escaping the deck while mowing. I don't mind a simple brush-off when I'm done mowing but want a mower that won't cover me head-to-toe in clippings.

Anyone have a recommendation for either brand? On paper, they appear to be quite similar so I'm looking more for practical use feedback.

Thanks again and have a great week.

Dave

Its Me

Threads
you can get the Hustler worked on my a dealer but the bad boy will be different, I have several Scags, I know that they are a lot of money but if you want a life time mower get the 48" commercial, If not go with the lower end Scag over that other one, change the oil, keep the filter clean and service the hydraulic pump, go with half the hours they say and the will last, happy mowing, don't forget the shower when you done, she won't let you in the house for long, I know that well.

ICTGolfer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Appreciate your comments.

The nearest SCAG dealer is about a 30 minute drive away but will reach out to them for a quote to see the differences.

On paper, the SCAG's look very similar to the Bad Boys. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Bad Boy based on all the poor reviews of the 2019 Hustlers. Those appear to have many quality issues from paint to breaking welds to hydraulic mounts and bolts shearing off. Doesn't look good for sure.

DK35vince

Threads
Right now, I'm leaning towards the Bad Boy based on all the poor reviews of the 2019 Hustlers. Those appear to have many quality issues from paint to breaking welds to hydraulic mounts and bolts shearing off. Doesn't look good for sure.
I'm assuming your talking about the Raptor having issues ??
Don't recall ever seeing welds or hydraulic mounts issues on any other models.

Its Me

Threads
that is a low end Hustler that they are talking about, they make a good quality more if you get into the bigger ones, they have put those mowers in the chain stores like John deere and a few others, they can sell large volumes and low cost to them and the people think they are getting a great bargain, some of the dealers sell them to be in line with the Chain stores but a real quality shop will sell on quality, I have used Scags for year and have several, just bit the bullet and get one, consider how much you mow to the time it takes to mow it, most of the commercial use the 48'' cut because of yard size and the cutter in the country use the 60", if you just change the oil, sharp blades, grease it, replace the air filter(don't beat on it, wash or blow it) I have a tiger cub since 1994 have only replaced the two belts and with that said I replace the Idlers when I replace the belts on the Scag all you need is a 1/2" breaker bar nothing to be removed, happy hunting, Joe

ICTGolfer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Appreciate the comments.

After discussing via email with the nearest SCAG dealer, I believe I'm going to go with the 48" Liberty Z.

Couple hundred bucks cheaper than the Bad Boy
Better reviews/ratings than the Bad Boy
More than double the warranty of the Bad Boy

Hoping they are as good as they sound/read on paper.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone.

Its Me

Threads
the Liberty is a nice machine, it not real heavy so if you have to mow in a damp yard won't leave ruts, the Liberty means that you don't have grease zerts, they use like a Delrina material at the pivot points and don't have to grease the spindles (sealed bearings) again, fresh oil, clean air filter, sharp blades, and change the oil in the drives at 1/2 of the hours that they recommend (longer life) happy cutting.